spots ? due to chemo?

• 7 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi, just wondering if anyone else has had spots (mainly at breast level to front and now around to my back with some on my belly).  They don't itch, burn sting or hurt at all.  I saw my GP for some fluid retention after my first round of chemo, and as agreed with rapid response she gave me some diuretics, which worked well.  I am on one co-trimoxazole per day and as chemo infusion I take chemo tablets twice a day for 14 days.  I think these spots began around beginning of April.  GP didn't know what they are.  I showed one to my oncologist on Friday and he didn't know unless it was a blocked follicle? I am getting more.  I swapped from antiperspirant to deodorant in case it was that, although I have no spots in my armpits.  This has made no difference whatsoever.  The spots look like bites, with a little head on them, which then just dissolves into itself.  I have tried, Savlon, Tea tree, Anthisan and Sudocrem to no avail.

Please can someone else tell me this has happened to them and it is nothing spectacular?  I am expected to have round 3 on Wednesday.  (I do have quite low neutrophils and they have said if todays blood shows the same, then they will have to defer this times chemo and give me a course of self-injections to boost the neutrophils.  Could this be from low neutrophils? 

I would love your advice and guidance, if anyone can reassure me I would be so pleased.

• I haven’t heard of spots as a side effect of chemotherapy but chemo affects all cells in your body that it can’t be a coincidence!  I had uveitis in my eye just as chemo finished and was told by the oncologist that it was unlikely to be caused by the chemo!  A few months later the ophthalmologist said it was.

Hopefully once you have got through the chemo, the spots will clear up and you will then know that the chemo was the cause!  
    Chemo is brutal but it does work so hang in there!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Hi, the only thing I got was tiny blood spots on my chest and back… they weren’t risen or itchy etc… they disappeared a month or so after my last chemo. 
    Take care 

Michele

• Thanks Jac for your reply. I'm sure that's what it is. Sadly my chemo is palliative so we're just trying to buy time 

• Hello, I’m not on chemo - too risky given my other ailments - but did have an irritating experience with cotrimoxazole coinciding with my cancer symptoms really getting going.  I was prescribed it as a daily prophylactic for my lung condition and had not had a reaction to it before but suffered a very itchy rash on my torso.   I was switched to a different antibiotic , the rash settled and I was able to concentrate on getting my stomach cancer diagnosed.   I think now the rash coincided with my immune system being depressed - it turns out I was short of vitamins and iron in preassessment for my gastrectomy.

• Sorry I really find this technology hard to handle! To finish my reply re cotrimoxazole.   
    i think it would be worth asking the medics to looki into  An alternative.   Spots aren’t the worse thing in the world but we have enough to put up with.   I wish you well with your chemo.   After lots of asking around and advice from my chest doctor I opted not to have immediate chemo but will likely need palliative chemo as my risk of recurrence is high.  
    love and best wishes 

tina stclares