Dad

• 1 reply
  • 29 subscribers

Hi

I’m new here - my Dad, 84 was diagnosed with stomach cancer before Christmas - literally fit as a fiddle up until November - it was found in an endoscopy as he was struggling to ‘get food down’. 4 weeks in now and he’s been in for blood transfusions- consultant said it was inoperable and has spread around his abdomen but not any other vital organs - we’ve got our first oncology appointment this week and they’ve suggested Dad might benefit from palliative chemo - but he’s so weak now - not given up but he’s got no energy - I was wondering whether it would do more harm than good - I know we’re early in this journey but I would like to hear of other responses who have been here - I’m 47 - devastated but pragmatic - I just want my ‘dad’ for a few more months - not in and out of hospital when he’s more than happy on the sofa with my Mum 

Thanks so much 

• I am so sorry to hear about your dad.  I think it’s a difficult decision as to whether to go ahead with palliative chemo.  Hopefully the medical team will explain the benefits v the risks and the side effects.  It’s so hard to see someone you love suffer.  I am sure you will focus on showing him how much you love and care for him! 
    Take care!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!