Terminal GIST Stomach Cancer

• 7 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hello,  My Stomach Cancer was discovered exactly 1 Year ago, 9th Jan 2023 to be exact.   83 yrs old Male.   Always fit and well until the day I had dreadful Stomach ache and 'Tail End Charlie'...what I call  Black Stools/Tar like.    A car trip to Hospital and then vomiting - dark blood.  From then on it was Transfusions and goodness no what - my life was saved.          After lots of tests and a stay in Hospital - diagnosis  Inoperable stomach cancer.

The Team in charge of my Case felt that a Target drug was the best treatment - hopefully to shrink the Tumour and slow growth.  After 2 more bleeds and a CT Scan - In mid November this treatment has been withdrawn as the Cancer has spread.   In a few more days there is a meeting to 'discuss' my future..  I decided at the beginning of this journey that life was going to be as normal as possible....Nothing changed until about September when I slowed down,  nodded off more, stopped worrying about the weeds ( Why did I ever worry about them?) 

My outlook hasn't changed - 'too much to do and many more years to do it in'.....wishful thinking?..  .It allows me to get up in the morning and 'Live' every day.    My Wife carries a huge load and has been stressed because of my lack of concern...often stopping me when I try to overdo things.  

Everyone of us - we are in the same boat - keep rowing until we get to our destinations.    Love to my fellow sailors. 

• Hello again Bowling stone, very nice to hear from you again but wish it was under better circumstances. You have a very positive attitude which I’m sure will help you. Keep playing bowls and doing all you want to do. Hugs to you and your wife xx

Sue Xx
  • I am trying to find the right words to express my emotions on reading your post.  What a wonderful way to live your life and I so admire the way you have responded to your diagnosis.  

We are all in the same boat but keeping rowing can be very hard at times! Every day is a blessing and when you have been diagnosed with cancer, every day is a gift to be enjoyed!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Lovely to hear from you.  Unfortunately I am unable to play Bowls or drive now - but I will keep on watching.  My wife said that was the best hug ever.  xxx

• There is nothing that tests us more than Cancer.  Hearing that others have Cancer didn't register with me.  But some days and during the night it can be so hard to be 'brave'...but we do it and then do it again.

Keep smiling Jacqui xxx

• Hi, so sorry to read this but at the same time admire your positivity. 

I am here because my wife 43 has just been diagnosed with stomach cancer. 2 blood infusion and black stool. She seems to be doing fine at the moment. We are having  staging Laproscopy. I hope and pray that goes well. Mrs is lik you and I am like your Mrs ( worried and upset). We have 3 years ok and a 6 months old. I have cried a lot in solitude. 

• Good luck to your wife, I hope the Lap goes well and nothings found outside the stomach X

Sue Xx
  • Hello Worried, Your life has been turned upside down by your wife's diagnosis and I know just how you are feeling,- lost.   There aren't any simple words to express what is happening to you both - but be reassured that your wife will have the best treatment available.  We cannot thank the Team for all they have done.

My husband is in a different age group, had Stage 4,  was in the Lymph nodes when first diagnosed so his future was rather bleak.  After 1 year exactly,  all treatment has been stopped as the Target drug was no longer working and the Tumour had grown.   So now he has to live whatever time he has....back to Bowls,  cannot drive, and be kind making the most of the remaining time.  Your wife is quite remarkable and you will be 'SIMPLY THE BEST' caring for your little ones needs.  God Bless.x