Stomach cancer

• 3 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Ive just been diagnosed with stomach cancer following a routine endoscopy for a hernia. The CT scan has shown no spread and they’ve said I’ll need chemo (float) 4 sessions followed by Surgery. I’m 59 and worried about bot the chemo and surgery, especially the thought of losing most of my stomach and part of oesophagus. Ive been reading as much as i can but would be interested in what others have been through. 

• I know that others have shared similar experiences and hopefully that helps you to feel positive.  There are lots of people who have had chemo then a total gastrectomy and post op chemo.  Recovery isn’t easy but I found that gaining knowledge helped me to feel more in control!  I am not sure if you have seen the information on the Oesophageal Patient Association but it’s a good place to start.

https://opa.org.uk

Focusing on getting as strong physically and mentally helps too.  I walked a lot and ate high protein and high calorie foods, as I knew I would lose weight during treatment. 
    I had a partial gastrectomy five years ago and now eat and drink pretty much as before.  We have just celebrated New Year as a family with two lovely meals out! I couldn’t have imagined this would be possible when I was diagnosed!

Do use this group to answer any questions you have!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Thanks, ill look at that 

• Hi, sorry to hear about your diagnosis… I had a chemo, full stomach removal and then more chemo… I was 53 when diagnosed through a routine endoscopy… I’m eating all foods now, in smaller portions. I lost 3 stone in weight but I have gained a stone now in 18 months. Chemo isn’t pleasant but I knew I needed it… for both myself and my family… I stayed positive throughout as well. I also reached out to a cancer support group which still to this day support me. 
    Take care 

Michele