Hello new here newly diagnosed

• 3 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi after a long time of pain and battling one hospital I was dismissed with irritable bowel. Was referred else where and finally received diagnosis of endocrine tumour with now spread to lymph node..in state of shock..don't know what to do about work or where else to go for support.. just some kind words would help. I have found some people started to avoid me ...

• Welcome to our group! There are lots of people who have positive experiences which will help you at this stage I am sure.  I had stomach cancer five years ago and had chemo and a partial gastrectomy.  I now eat and drink pretty much as before although smaller portions!  
    This stage is very difficult as you don’t know what you are dealing with! But there will be more tests and then the MDT will decide on a treatment plan. 
    I didn’t work through treatment but I was lucky in that I had good sickness benefits. Taking control of the things that you can is helpful!  I focused on getting as physically and mentally healthy as I could.  I walked a lot and ate high calorie and high protein foods as I had lost weight and knew the treatment would be tough! I did go to a Maggie’s Centre and it helped me to process the information about my diagnosis.

Do post questions that you have and I am sure someone will help! Good luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Hi, so sorry to hear of your diagnosis… I was an ibs sufferer and I was diagnosed through a routine endoscopy in 2021… 

With people ignoring/avoiding you, I felt that too, but it’s because they don’t know what to say to you… You want support but they don’t know how to… I contacted cancer support groups to talk to people that were in the same position as myself… that helped considerably. Mind you I couldn’t talk to my family about it as I knew they were hurting too. 
    You’ve come to the right place to talk on here too… 

Take care 

Michele 

• I'm so sorry it took you so long to get a diagnosis. I notice you said that you have an 'endocrine' tumour, which sounds like a gastric neuroendocrine tumour (NET)? If this is the case, please be aware that this is often treated with different drugs to what most people on this board would get (as most here have gastric adenocarcinoma). Wishing you all the best and as Jacqui said, there are lots of people with positive experiences who are happy to help if they can x

Knowledge makes us stronger. Research, question, share and demand more from your doctors. Read my profile for my dad's stage IV story.