Agressive Cancer visible on outer & inner surface of stomach

• 56 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Evening,

This is a first post having had it confirmed on Friday I have stomach cancer (substantially visible on both inner & outer surfaces)

See my profile for difficult Christmas and aggressive hidden cancer manifesting itself over the past two month

Question: anyone with experience of extreme / radical Chemo - stomach removal - further Chemo

Consultant Team was split 50-50 for the above; risk v reward and quality of life.

But clearly my decision, but I would like to know if there are those out there with this experience.

thanks

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you have recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer. I had an all together different type of cancer but it's still such a shock when you receive the news.

I don't have the treatment experience you're looking for but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be more easily spotted.

While you're waiting for replies you could, if you haven't already, make use of the search facility that you'll find at the top of the page to look for others with a similar diagnosis. You could then respond to any of the more recent posters if you think they can help you further.

Wishing you all the best with your decision.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi sorry to hear about your diagnosis! 

I’m sorry I can’t answer your question as it’s just started with me. 
    I was diagnosed the end of November which was a shock as I had no symptoms just ibs. I have T4a so I’m having 4 rounds of FLOT (one done 22nd December, 2nd tomorrow).  These are every other week unless you have low platelets which I had last week so it was delayed a week. Then I’m having a break to recover before full stomach removal as it’s in the top and gone through the lining. Thankfully it hasn’t spread anywhere else. Then I was told I’d have a recovery from the operation and have 4 more cycles of FLOT. 
    Take care. 
    Michele. 

• Hi Yiaskyou,

I'm really sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My dad's original oncologist was against surgery, saying he would have no quality of life. We got a surgical consult and a new oncologist. My father has no regrets surrounding having had surgery. 3.5 years post surgery, 4.5 years post diagnosis, my dad is able to eat multi-course tasting menus and leads a normal and full life, cancer free. I recognise that not everyone fares as well as he does, but if you have the option for surgery, do carefully consider it as surgery is the only curative path out of stomach cancer and not many are fortunate to have that option.

If you have the FLOT and get a good response, you can always see how you feel and make a decision then?

best of luck with it all,

SDH

Knowledge makes us stronger. Research, question, share and demand more from your doctors. Read my profile for my dad's stage IV story.

• Hi this is such good news about your dad. He’s done so well. Thank you for sharing! 
    Michele

• Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

Likewise I have T4A, Through the lining and on both inner & outer surfaces, not elsewhere

Line went in today, FLOT to start 20th jan, same rounds and cycles, then stomach out plus region of oesophagus, then more FLOT.

it is what it is but I have so much more to do in this life nothing  will stop me.

best of lunch to you too.

Ian

• I’m sorry to hear you’re going through the same. I totally agree I too have so much to do with my life and I’m going to fight it. 
    Good luck on the 20th. 
    Michele 

• Hi I have Started Day 1 of Chemo FLOT therapy yesterday 3 drugs, 1x 1hr, 1x 2hr, and 4pm to day came of drug 3 on 24hr line.

no real issues, ate a grape mid afternoon and the juice made my lower rear gums feel like I had ate a lemon and an lime, metaphorically twisted my ears off. Was warned about the cold but went and sat by the harbour wall in the later afternoon sunshine in Charlestown.

Had to wear gloves and after 20mins jumped off to experience pins and needles in my thighs and bum, went after 10mins of walking.

pump been off 8 hrs now, no other side effects.

have to have anther upper endoscopy next week with ultra sound to check cancer not encroached into oesophagus to provide more info for op decision.

early days but pleased side effects for now are minimal, no sickness, diarrhoea, constipation or any of the other 8 pages of side effects.

thanks

• Hi, I’m glad you haven’t had too many side effects. I had diarrhoea, feeling nauseous and lots of heart burn and indigestion with both 1st and 2nd cycles. The 2nd one I had tingling in my legs when I left the hospital as it was chilly and made my clothing/bedsheets feel like pins for a few days. My tongue has also been a bit numb. I’ve also been quite tired this time, probably due to not keeping food in as having to go to the loo shortly after eating, unfortunately I also suffer from diverticula disease which was diagnosed in November so it probably contributes to the diarrhoea. I’m down for my 3rd on the 26th.  
    I hope you continue ok with the 2nd one when it comes around.

Michele 

• Hope your side effects abate for you.

cycle 1/6 on day 3, more of the same; noticed the cold more and definitely fatigued, loss of appetite but otherwise ok  

all the best 

• Cycle 1 day 13, and the diarrhoea kicked in 3 days ago. Had a few PICC issues, multiple clots, but otherwise feel ok.

Had a EUS no sign of cancer in the oesophagus.

Been lucky to have all Chemo at home which is a big advantage when side affects kick in.

Have a brilliant employer who is very understanding and accommodates my situation, WFH

So awaiting Cycle 2 on Thursday and off we go again.