Chemo

• 5 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Good afternoon,

I had 4 sessions of chemo FLOT, unfortunately the tumour hasn't shrunk. Did anybody had the same experience? Due for a total gastrectomy at the end of July i don't know what to expect any advice?

• Hi

I am sure you are disappointed that the chemo hasn’t shrunk the tumour but the gastrectomy will remove it!  I focused on getting as fit as I could before the operation- walking as much as I could and eating really well.   I found the operation and the recovery easier than I expected.  I wrote a Blog which may help you.

It’s easy to say but just take one step at a time!  Focus on doing things you like - I found the Headspace app invaluable in helping me manage the emotional impact.   It helped me through the really difficult days and nights!

Do post questions and use this Forum for help and support!

Good luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Good morning Jacquiw10,

Did you do anything in particular to help you with the recovery after the operation? 

Where would I find your blog?

I had a look at the Headspace app, but I'm no wiser what is it exactly & how does it help?

• Hi

I have sent a Friend request and if you click on my name, you will find the Blog.  I have also attached a link

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/members/jacquiw10/blogs

Headspace is a mindfulness app, which I used to help me cope with the panic and anxiety.  It helped develop ways to manage breathing techniques. It really helped my emotional health and helped me feel more positive.   

I found the leaflets and advice from the Oespheagal Patient Association really helpful.

https://opa.org.uk

They gave advice on eating after the operation.  

Eating really small quantities and soft foods was what I had to eat after the operation.  Even in hospital I found the dietary advice was slow and it was easy to overeat.   I ate high protein foods -  E.g coconut porridge with yoghurt for breakfast, avocado and eggs , cottage pie or fish pie etc.  I ate six small meals and gradually increased the amounts.

I found after six weeks I was eating more normal food.   I couldn’t image how I would cope but it was easier than I expected!

I was absolutely terrified before the op, so I found it helped me to have as much knowledge as possible!

Happy to answer any questions you have!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Hi 

Exactly same happened to me just come out of hospital after 3 weeks full stomach removed ended up.in intensive care 9 days all together with pneumonia 

FLOT did nothing to my tumour except keep it static

It as not spread all nodes clear 

I felt so disappointed due to the fact I really suffered doing the 4 rounds of FLOT made me so ill

I am not having FLOT again due to side effects and with getting so ill after surgery 

Just going to keep a close eye on me check ups etc 

Hope your surgery goes well just keep going

Tracy

• Good morning Tracy,

Thank you for your email and your kind words.

I am glad you're out of the hospital I wish you a speedy recovery and please keep in touch.

Wawa