• 8 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi All, 

I was recently diagnosed with stomach cancer, I've now had all the tests, the last one being a laparoscooy with an endoscopy.

I feel lucky in the way its at stage 3 with no secondaries apart from a few swollen lymph nodes. The cat and pet scan were positive and the washing from the laparoscooy was completely clear with the prognosis being a cure.

I've been given my dates to start chemo, which will be four sessions over six weeks then surgery for a total gastrectomy.

I can't say I'm looking forward to the treatment but am happy that it's starting.

I've got brilliant support from family, the NHS and  my employer have been truly epic.

I'm going into this with an open mind as possible and looking to the future with hope and a certainty that my journey so far has given me.

I know there's going to be challenging times ahead and hope I can fulfil my end of this chapter 

I do feel extremely positive and it's all due to the people around me and have been truly humbled.

Here's to a bright future.

• Hi and a warm welcome to the Online Community. I'm pleased to read that having had all the tests, you've been given a treatment plan and you're going into the unknown journey with such a positive attitude. There will be challenging times ahead but with the help of what sounds like a brilliant support team, you'll get there.

Now you've joined this forum you'll also get plenty of support from the members here. I've a different type of cancer but which ever group you join there's a wealth of knowledge and support ready to be shared.. I'm sure someone from this group will be along soon to chat. In the meantime just read over some of the threads and if you want to chat just hit reply and introduce yourself.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep writing the same thing over and over. You can amend or update it at any time. You could just copy and paste this, your first post as it's informative and so positive!

To find more information covering diagnosis and treatments there are pages covering most types of cancers which can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Macmillan Support Services also offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi 

I'm in a very similar situation to you as regards to staging etc, but because of a heart attack after my first round of chemo, I've had to skip straight to surgery now my hearts a bit stronger :)  I go in next Monday, ready for surgery Tuesday! Hopefully I'll be home and on the mend for Christmas :) I wish you all the very best on your journey and If you need a chat, I'll hopefully be able to give you some first hand advice after the op! 

Lynne x

• Hi Trimboh,

Sounds like almost the exact same diagnosis and surgery that I had nearly 2 and a half years ago now. Happy to help in any way I can.

Blessings,

Debra

Debra
    Stomach cancer survivor
    There is always hope, you just need to open your eyes and heart Slight smile
  • Hi I’ve just been diagnosed with stage 4 and I had a laparoscopy last week and touch wood they didn’t find anything else. I’ve got an oncologist appointment this coming Thursday to talk about my chemo treatments. I will then have a full stomach removal then more chemo… I’m just in total shock at the moment it feels so surreal… I’m sending all my positive thoughts to you!! 
    Michele 

• Hi Vespa,

I know it must be a shock as I had the exact same experience and am now living a stomach free life. Happy to support if you need it. Just message me.

much love 

Debra 

Debra
    Stomach cancer survivor
  • Hi sorry forgot to say my name is Michele. I I just hope I have the strength to survive this… I’m being told by family that I’m being very strong and brave with this sudden diagnosis.. 

• Hi Michelle, you are strong and can do this. I felt the same as you and I’m still here. 
    if you’re interested, I put a website together to help people with stomach cancer. Have a look and see if it’s useful to you.

stomachfreelife.com

Debra
    Stomach cancer survivor
  • Thank you so much… I’ve just had a look.