B12/Iron

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Good Afternoon

just wondering for those who’ve had their op, how long afterwards did you need to start with B12 injections?

im asking because the past few days fatigue has hit me hard and I feel so weak, my op was 3 1/2 months ago and just wondering if it’s iron or B12 deficiency. My surgeon told me I would have bloods done when I go to see my dietician which is next week but I’m wondering if I should see my GP and get tested sooner?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

• Hi Lou

I was told to get the B12 injection three months after surgery as my reserves would run low.  I went to my GP after ten weeks. Another post I read on this Forum recommended a blood test but I didn’t have that first.

It may be that the fatigue is linked as it can be caused by a B12 deficiency.

XX

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Hi Lou , 

I started on B12 injections 3 months after surgery. I needed 6 injections given over a 2 week period to get the levels up to normal , and now I will have them every 3 months.

The post op.  Chemotherapy has left me weak n fatigued so I'm.not sure whether the B12 injections are working anyway!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Jacquiw10

Thanks Jacqui, I’ve been to see me GP this morning and had bloods done so hopefully will start them soon. 

How are you doing post op? Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Merge

My Dic told me about the 6 injections this morning, I said it doesn’t matter how many needles I have I never get used to them! He said it goes into muscle...good luck finding any on me, they’ve all gone! 

Hope your strength starts to improve soon!

xx

• Hi Lou

I am doing well better than I could have hoped.  I am back at work on a phased return, which feels great. I am eating well and my weight has stabilised!

Hope your energy levels improve soon as you have been through so much.  You’ll get there I am sure.

I will ask about a blood test to check levels as I didn’t think about that!

Good to hear from you!

x

Jac

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Jacquiw10

Hi Jac,

just wondering how many hours are you back to work now? Do you feel like it’s doable??

thanks!

• Hi

I am lucky , my GP said a phased return until the end of May.  I am now three months post op and feel really well.  My employer has been very supportive and I can work from home when I need to.  

I was also fortunate that due to Easter there were short weeks anyway.

I am probably working 35 hours a week at the moment- my usual would a lot more!  

I am a bit tired in the evening and have to organise my eating by taking food to work.  Snacks and lunch!

It depends on the type of work you do!  My work is demanding but mainly office based so not hard physically.

i remember reading someone on this group saying they were back at work after three months and that gave me so much hope that I would get through!

Jac

• Hi Jac, 

Well done on getting back to work - you are doing really well. It's given me hope that I'll be able to go back to work. 35 hours a week is a lot - my usual working week is 37.5 hours but I have a 45 minute commute to work which adds to the working day. 

I'm seven weeks post chemotherapy and still feeling tired and nauseous. I would like to get back to work sometime in June as my salary will then be £0. I'm going for short walks - managing a mile each day and trying to build it up.

What snacks are you taking into work? I'll have to do the same and want a variety of easy to eat things.

Nita

• Hi Nita

You will get there and it will feel so good!  I take oatcakes and cheese or  pancakes with jam or a croissant in the morning is great! I also bake cakes or flapjacks! Taste great!

I am sure my work colleagues think I am very greedy as I eat constantly!  

You have done so well !

xx

Jac

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lou

I’ve started iron and B12 this week, 4mths after surgery. A blood test is a must as soon as you begin to feel weak and tired, I really should have seen GP earlier to get it started. 

Good luck with it and I hope you start to feel better soon.