My dad diagnosed with Linitis Plastica

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi all

my dad has been Dias gnoses this week and from what I read on the cancer research website on it, it didn’t make for good reading.

im desperate to hear from anyone with this diagnosis.

my dad is 67, hasn’t eaten for 6 weeks and has lost half his body weight, which thankfully he was chunky before x

i feel so helpless on how to help him eat. He is due for an endoscopic ultrasound soon.

can anyone give advice or share stories about this diagnosis?

thanks in advance guys

mel x

• Hi and a warm welcome to the online community at what sounds like a very worrying time for you.

I'm not a member of this group but I noticed that your post had gone unanswered. By replying it will bump your post back to the top of the page where it may be seen by someone who has experience with linitis plastica.

While you're waiting for replies you could type 'linitis plastica' into the search bar in this group where you will find a few, fairly recent posts about it. 

I can understand that it must be very worrying for you that your dad has lost so much weight and it's natural that you want to find ways to help him to eat. You could post this question in ask a dietitian and our dietitian Alice will aim to respond within 2 working days.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Mel , 

Sorry to hear about your Dad - I was diagnosed with the same cancer nearly a year ago and found it hard to eat. He needs to be on a high calorie diet- so lots of fatty foods.i was given high energy drinks to help with putting on weight - ask for these , there are lots of different ones - I was on Fortijuice which comes in different fruit flavours. Does your Dad also have nausea? Ginger is good for that and I found eating dry crackers helped stave off the nausea.

I had chemotherapy which shrank the cancer so that I was able to eat more and put on weight before my total gastrectomy. Since then I have to eat little and often and putting on weight is difficult. I've had chemotherapy after surgery and lost weight again. They put in a feeding tube during surgery and I've had nightly feeding bags which have helped me put on weight - hoping to stop these in a few weeks.

It did take a while to get a treatment plan but once it was in place things moved fast .

Please feel free to ask any questions - I'll do my best to answer! 

Take care and hope your Dad is able to eat soon .

Nita

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Merge

Hi Nita

your reply really gave us hope for good things. My dad had his EUS yesterday so we will await those results as well as from his liver scan. 

Mon a good day he will eat half a cup of soup and half a pot of jelly but sucks ice cubes all day. he has lost around 8/9 stone and is finding it difficult to get himself up from sitting.

i really hope they will move faster and get some treatment going as I am currently just watching him wasting away to nothing and I get so mad and upset. 

How long did you wait for treatment? He was diagnosed 2weeks ago today

thank you for replying it means so much to me xxx

love Mel xx

• Hi Mel,

It was a few weeks before chemotherapy started but they put me on the Frutijuice drinks straightaway - maybe ask your GP if he can have supplements. If he is sucking ice cubes all day maybe make some with fruit juice so he gets some calories from.them. He needs to eat little and often - his stomach won't hold much. 

It is upsetting seeing him like this but ask for help. Does  he have a Macmillan nurse ? I find mine very helpful and she gives me suggestions of what to try .

I do hope his treatment starts soon and you get some help as well.

Take care 

Nita x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Merge

Hi

we had the meeting with the consultant today. My dad is so weak now and cannot even stand up unaided. His eyes and skin is jaundiced. They can’t do anything for him as he is so weak. 

Im going to lose my dad and I don’t know why or when

• I feel so sad reading your post.  It’s so hard to see someone you love suffer and know you will lose them. My mum died a long time ago and I still miss her!  We found the hospice gave her and us great support so do contact them to see how they can help.  Phone the MacMillan helpline too as they provide great help and support.

Thinking of you xx

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I am so sorry as it’s a horrible time. I know exactly what you are going through. My Dad died of stomach cancer. I went to all his appointments with him and my Mum and I was with them when we were given the devastating news that he was terminal. Towards the end of his life he was transferred from the hospital to the hospice. He received fantastic care from the hospice staff. He was only in there for 3 days but they looked after both him and our family. It will be so hard watching your Dads health deteriorate but all you can do is be there for him and your family. Please come on here anytime you need support as it’s important that you also look after yourself. 

Take care

Donna. Xx

• FormerMember

I am so sorry as it’s a horrible time. I know exactly what you are going through. My Dad died of stomach cancer. I went to all his appointments with him and my Mum and I was with them when we were given the devastating news that he was terminal. Towards the end of his life he was transferred from the hospital to the hospice. He received fantastic care from the hospice staff. He was only in there for 3 days but they looked after both him and our family. It will be so hard watching your Dads health deteriorate but all you can do is be there for him and your family. Please come on here anytime you need support as it’s important that you also look after yourself. 

Take care

Donna. Xx

• Hi Mel, 

I'm.very sorry to hear your news - it is very hard seeing someone you love suffering so much. Please get in touch with the Macmillan nurses - they will be able to help and advise both your Dad and yourself.

Sending hugs XXX

Nita 

• FormerMember

I am so sorry to read your post, I hope your Dad and your family receive support soon and he is made comfortable. You will be in my thoughts. 

Take care

Lou x