I was diagnosed with Linitis Plastica and I'm cancer free now

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 32 replies
  • 26 subscribers

I just wanted to post this for all you out there that have been diagnosed with this rare form of cancer Linitis Plastica and I'm cancer free now. I was diagnosed 18 months ago. The gastro doctor thought it was gastritis when he did a endoscopy but he took biopsies anyway since he was thee already. The biopsies' came back  that I had Linitis Plastica. They gave me 4 rounds pf the "magic protocol" very strong chemo treatments that included 3 types of chemo one by a huge syringe injected straight into your port one with I.V. and then the last you take rad pills everyday. I then had all my stomach taken out then 4 more rounds of just one type of chemo about 2 months after my surgery. I was blessed I did not have very many side effects from the chemo (even though the doctor told me if I had been 15 years older and smoked he would not have given it to me it would have killed me) The chemo was actually harder on me then the surgery. But 18 months after being diagnosed I'm cancer free by the grace of God and doing great. If you have any questions please ask. I'm cancer free now of this rare type of cancer. and like my friend Tony always tells me, no one fights cancer alone

• Hello

This is very encouraging news. We lost my neighbour to complications with limitis plastica just over a year ago. He was 75 and a smoker but he still outlived the initial prognosis of 6 months to survive 2 years, even without losing his stomach. But it was a horrible disease and I guess he was too old to get your magic protocol.

Wishing you a long and healthy survival.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to barbaral

thank you and sorry to hear about your neighbor. Did he survive 2 years with treatment or opted for no treatment?

• He had treatment but I don't know what type. At that age, and with a long smoking history, it may not have been so extreme as yours. The hospital was going to give up on him at diagnosis but his wife fought hard to get him included in experimental treatment. 

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I have this form of cancer, I am 34 and have 2 young children. I was diagnosed in June and they expected me to live for a couple of months. With the aid of chemo I am still here, unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be here for long though. 

The ascites I originally had in June has started to make a reappearance, they drained 7 litres of fluid from my abdomen originally so I've probably done pretty well to get to now before it started to come back again.

Seeing my oncologist tomorrow for him to assess my current level of ascites and weds I have my last session of chemo, after that I guess I'm on borrowed time.

This is all just horrific, why me.

• FormerMember

sorry to hear this but do not give up. When I was first diagnosed the doctors gave me a poor prognosis because of the type of cancer but I'm cancer free now and they are amazed. After I was diagnosed I could not eat anything and I was losing weight like crazy. I went a church and the elders in the church laid hands on my. I felt a warm sensation through to my back. And 2 hours later I was feeling very hungry. Me and my wife went to a Subway resturant and I ate a foot long sub? And I was still hungry I ate like a horse and was gaining weight. The doctors could not explain it they said I was watching what I ate. But I ttold him that me and my grand daughter had just ate a foot long chilly cheese dog and fries and if that did not make you sick nothing would. he then asked us "they have foot longs at Sonic" . He could not explain my appetite coming back. My point is never give up trust in God. If you need anything look me up on Face book Remo Bellerose. stau strong and like my friend Tony always told me no one fights cancer alone. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to barbaral

sorry to hear this and yes smoking a lot and age does not help when you have this type of cancer.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

This is indeed uplifting news. I am so happy for you. 

I have been diagnosed with Signet Ring Cell Carcinoma which I think is similar to Linitis Plastica. I will have my 3rd of 4 chemo sessions tomorrow. It should have been yesterday but my leucocytes were too low. All being well I will have a gastrectomy early December. 

May I ask how old you are? I will be 58 at the end of November. 

Take care and enjoy life to the full. 

AM x

• FormerMember

I'm sorry I did not mention my age I'm 54 I was diagnosed when I was 53 And one thing I have to say. We are all different what may happen to me may not happen to you during your chemo and after your surgery. When I was first diagnosed I went to the web for info big mistake. Those statistics for survival mostly garbage my oncologist told me this. There are some great support groups on FaceBook [edited by admin] a great place to find real answers from folks who are going through the same thing as you. And this group has many sisters and brothers in Christ

• FormerMember

Yes. I made the mistake of Googling and my oncologist looked at me very disapprovingly.

I agree that we are all different and what works for one does not work the other.

AM x 

• FormerMember

Stacy 142

Hi was reading your story , gosh your going through a lot and your not alone there.

I'm sick in deep pain and been to he'll and back. A stomach ulcer operation another to remove cancer and one to unblock by intestine because they got badly blocked due to constipation and the chemo.

My anxiety level is right up there .

Next to yours probably. 

Let's keep fighting for our rights

Stupid cancer .

Take care Tora