Stomach Cancer or Not Stomach Cancer - Confused

• 13 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hello everyone new to the site and first post.  My husband had a CT scan in November 2023 due to not eating and weight loss.  The CT came back that he had a mass at the top of his stomach and further deposits in his stomach.  Sent for an endoscopy at beginning of Dec and when we arrived kept waiting for a couple of hours and the Dr took us into a room and asked if we really wanted this doing as the CT scan said it all and that he was 'riddled' and that no point putting himself through this procedure.  We were extremely upset so went home and digested the info that there was no hope.  We then got an appointment for the hospital early January where they did bloods, biopsy and yes and endoscopy.  The results from the endoscopy came back as negative for any cancer and that it is a stomach ulcer, the other results not back yet and we don't have appointment for another three weeks.  We are at a total loss and stressed  out- does he have stomach cancer or doesn't he - has anyone else had differing results from the tests?

• Hi, I’m sorry you’re experiencing this, I had so many GP appointments from April 2023 through to November 2023 when I finally got a gastroscopy appointment, unfortunately I found out that day I had a tumour which looked malignant. After the biopsies and a CT scan it was confirmed. I am now only just about to see an oncologist.  I really hope that the tests remain negative for your husband and wish you all the very best x

• I am so sorry to hear about your husband’s and your experience! It seems beyond belief that any doctor would have made such a statement without all the information that all the tests provide!  I would contact the consultant and ensure he is fully aware of what has taken place and request an early meeting.  I would also go with a list of questions… has there been a Multi Disciplinary Team meeting?  In my case the CT was clear because the cancer was at an early stage, but the endoscopy showed cancer from the biopsies taken.  Often the next step is a laparoscopy which provides more information including more biopsies.  
    Hopefully you get a clear picture and know what you are dealing with and a treatment plan is then in place for your husband!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Good luck in your journey against this terrible disease.  The stress of tests and awaiting results does take it's toll.  Hope you get your treatment very soon

• Thank you for replying just nice to talk to someone about what's going on.  Appointment soon with oncologist so we should have all results and then know if positive or negative and get a treatment plan in place.  Feels like in limbo as can't make any plans to do anything.  Hospital been very good and got all the tests done really quickly.

• I hope the appointment with the oncologist goes well. I'm so upset to hear that a doctor would question the value of a diagnostic endoscopy like that. It's appalling. If you felt minded to complain about this, I wouldn't be surprised if the hospital took it seriously. I'm glad things have been moving smoothly since though.

Knowledge makes us stronger. Research, question, share and demand more from your doctors. Read my profile for my dad's stage IV story.

• Hi, so sorry to hear what you’ve gone through… so stressful for you both… I do hope you get more information soon and a treatment plan. 
    Michele 

• Bit of an update. Endoscopy came back as ulcer so that's good. Deposits found in the onentum biopsy came back inconclusive so this week had bloods done again, another CT scan to compare to the last and a bigger biopsy. Hopefully results will come back soon and we will get an answer as to whether it is cancer or not! Just seem to be in limbo at the minute.

• Good luck to you, hope it is all good news for you x

• Today had appointment with oncologist sadly most of results have come back and now confirmed inoperable stomach cancer. Apparently an aggressive one at that. Back in a fortnight when they should have final results and will know which sort of chemo best to treat. Just feel absolutely devastated at the moment and unsure what the future holds.

• So sorry to hear your news, I hope they come up with a treatment plan soon. Thinking of you x