Diagnosed yesterday

• 19 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi

I can’t believe I am writing this but yesterday I received the news that I have gastric cancer. I’m 38 years old. I have been having various tests since October and after a laparoscopy early November the doctors said there was a chance that it was cancer but that there were no signs of spread so they would be able to remove after having chemo to shrink it. I have had several biopsies since which have been coming back as negative and on 6th Jan I went in for surgery for a partial gastrectomy and that’s when they found that the cancer has likely spread outside of my stomach. The doctors aren’t 100% until I have a PET scan and am waiting to see an oncologist to plan my treatment. I’m just completely numb at the moment. I’m more worried about how my family will cope. I currently feel well in myself so holding on to any positive that I can and also happy to chat and share my experiences with anyone who needs it. 

• I know that numb feeling , i was recently diagnosed in December, ive just joined this litrally 2 minutes ago on the hope of finding other stomach cancer people. I hope it goes well for you .

• Welcome Sprinkly and Auntie K, sorry you have found yourselfs here but im sure you will find some of the answers you are looking for, I was diagnosed in November and I'm now on Chemo followed by a full Gastrectomy and then more Chemo, one thing i found is that once on the pathway things move very fast with lots of appointments and you never seem to have the questions when you need them, so my tip is to write things down and perhaps keep a diary this really helps and of course these forums are a wealth of knowledge. Good luck in your journeys.

Mick.

• Hi Sprinkly and Auntie K, so sorry you have to join this forum, I don’t think any of us wanted to be here and I still can’t believe I’m here for my husband. I’ve got no information for you both as I’m very new to this forum ( I am in 3 others though) 

My husband just out of hospital after having a full stomach removal, he was in hospital for just a week, he’s 79 and hasn’t had chemo as the hospital said over 75s don’t do so well with it, a bit scary but that’s it, As Mick says once you start on the journey things soon move on.

Im sure Jac will be along soon with all her help and information, she’s been a great help to me and I’m sure to a lot of others. 
    Good luck to you both x

Sue Xx
  • Hi Sprinkly thanks for your reply. I hope things go well for you too. Please feel free to chat anytime as like you I joined in the hope of finding other stomach cancer people. Knowing there are more of us out there hopefully we can find some strength to get through this.

• Thank you for your kind words. Everything is so surreal at the moment and my main worry is how it will affect my family. I know I will find the strength and keeping positive. 

• Hi Mick. 
    Thank you for your reply. I know it sounds silly but I think I’ll feel a bit better once I’ve had my appointment with the oncologist and have a plan in place as that’s how I work. I hope things work out well for you and would love to hear how you are getting on during your treatment. 

• Hi

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis but pleased you have found this group.  There are some lovely people who will support and share experiences.  
    It sounds as though the medical team weren’t sure until the surgery what stage the cancer was and the negative biopsies is a positive sign.  There will be a treatment plan and although chemo after a gastrectomy is harder, you are young and fit so I am sure you will be fine, if that’s what is decided. 
    You will now be recovering from the operation so focus on building up your strength so that you are as strong physically and mentally as you can be.

I will send a Friend request if you want to send me a m.

Good luck! 

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

1. Hi thanx for reply , I felt for a while things were moving slow because of Xmas holidays ect , now all of sudden it's fast, I guess it's better that way, I am jittery with nerves just now .
  • It certainly is scary, I'm a bag of nerves just now

• Hi Auntie K, so sorry that you’ve received this diagnosis. I’m 38 too and was diagnosed in November whilst on maternity leave. I know that numb feeling well and still haven’t been able to tell my mum and dad. I’m currently undergoing chemotherapy before surgery for a T1. Having read things on the internet I was petrified by the thought of chemotherapy so I just wanted to reach out and let you know that my experience thus far has been fine and much better than expected. As mentioned above write any questions you have down as I often felt a little overwhelmed in appointments and found it hard to absorb all of the information given to me never mind remembering what I wanted to ask. If you have FLOT I would also advise thinking about headwear / wigs. I had quite significant hair loss after my second cycle and anticipate that I will have complete loss by the end of the treatment. Good luck x