FOLFOX reduction in dose

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers
Hi all,
My mother was diagnosed in June with Linitis Plastica (stomach cancer) and it has unfortunately spread outside. The hospital (located in UK) has offered palliative chemo only, as she is not eligible for any immunotherapy.
She started chemo FOLFOX at 100% and this wiped her out and resulted in a week in hospital. Due to her initial reaction, the 2nd dose was dropped to 80% strength and this was much better, so she has proceeded to receive the 3rd dose at 80% too. The chemo is working really well and a lot of her symptoms have been reversed. However, just before the 4th dose, she has picked up a chest infection and is trying to battle this away before resuming. While waiting for the 4th dose, we have been to see another consultant and he has suggested the dose should be dropped to 60% strength. He has advised that data and trials completed in the UK, suggest a weaker strength dose can be better, as the patient can cope with this for a longer period and this results in a longer lifespan with the disease. We are a little cautious about dropping the dose strength, as its worked so well so far, but we want to keep mom as strong as possible for as long as possible.
Does anyone on here have experience with the strength of FOLFOX being reduced and what was the outcome of this? Negative or positive? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
  • Hi

I didn’t have FOLFOX but a similar chemo.  I had the dose reduced as the side effects were too severe, the consultant said at the time that they would rather I had more cycles and completed the treatment than stopped it.

My cancer was early stage and was completely eradicated by the chemo.

I think the advice you have been given is correct as it’s a balance between being able to have more treatment for longer and a high dose.

Wishing your mum lots of luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!