Stomach Cancer Journey

• 11 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi, I was diagnosed with stomach cancer December 2021 at age 56. I was stage 3 T3N2M0. My treatment was chemo (flot) surgery (TG) chemo. I have completed my treatment and recent scan was all clear. It has been a very hard journey I had my stomach removed March 2022. I eat everything but have small meals every 2 hours and currently trying to get my energy back. Happy to help anyone with any questions

• Great to read your story! It will support so many who are going through treatment!   Hope your energy levels continue to improve - it’s so good to get your life back!

Well done!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Thanks for sharing. How did you find chemo and any tips for preparing as my dad is about to start chemo this week?

• Hi

The first chemo is relatively easy but they get progressively worse so just be prepared. There are number of side effects but each person experiences are different. Just make sure you take all the medicine they give you like the steroids and anti nausea tablets before the chemo. Also keep hydrated very important while having chemo.

• Hi ive only recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer luckily i think, localised inside the stomach only . I start chemo next week 4 sessions over 8 weeks to reduce tumour then if reduced enough key hole surgery to remove, and the post surgery chemo again four sessions over 8 weeks . My wife and i are beginning to process this scary time ahead. Any tips/advice would obviously be welcome but great to see that Tropical is doing well.

• Hi

Great you have joined this group!  It’s very positive that your cancer has not spread and you have started treatment.

I had stomach cancer four years ago.  I had chemo and then surgery.  I wrote a Blog of my experience which you can read and hope you find useful 

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/members/jacquiw10/blogs

I now lead a normal life - something I would not have believed possible four years ago!

Do post any questions you have?

Good luck!

Jac

• Hi jac im going to read your blog sooner than later but i noticed your stomach cancer was early diagnosis as i believe mines is as its contained to inside the stomach ONLY as a result of early diagnosis did you have to have post surgery chemo or not ? As they've already recommended a possible 4 sessions over 8 weeks ?

• Hi

I didn’t have chemo post surgery as I had a clear pathology following surgery ie all the cancer had been eradicated by the chemo and so there was no cancer left.

I was offered more chemo as that is the gold standard treatment but I decided not to have more chemo.  Most people do have chemo after surgery so I was very lucky! 

I found the information from the Oesophageal  Patient Association really helpful 

https://opa.org.uk

Happy to answer any questions you have!

Good luck!

Jac

• Hi Sweats, sorry to hear your recent diagnosis. It was a very scary time for us too but feel now we live a normal life. I am back to work and recently booked a holiday abroad for next month. I did have 4 sessions of chemo after surgery it was much harder as my body was already weak due to major surgery. I would recommend going through post surgery chemo for peace of mind but can depend on your general health. Just had my 6 month follow up since surgery all good now advised blood test every 3 months. Wishing you all the best.

• Tropical thank you for sharing your story and great to hear you are doing well. Its always good even though im at the very start to speak about i feel but even better to see people coming through and leading a happy life again. Enjoy your holiday if its to The Algarve in Portugal have fun and embrace life that is where i live and the care and attention ive had has been first class. 

• Jac hope you don't mind the shortening of name ? Ive now read your blog, fascinating but for me very motivating . Your story from already having cancer of one type and recovery to then another is inspiring.  Myself and my wife start our journey next week 1st chemo and no doubt i may be calling upon your blog again . In the meantime thank you for now.