Stage 4 stomach cancer

• 20 replies
  • 22 subscribers

My daughter was diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer just before Christmas 2019.  We have been researching constantly for holistic approaches to stomach cancer treatments. She has completed her first lot of chemotherapy and is now on a trial to try and keep the cancer at bay.  The chemotherapy did shrink the cancer and she is at the moment quite well but easily tired.  The trial is a reduced chemotherapy regime and she will be scanned every 12 weeks to see how things are.  She has been following a diet of special meals to try and improve her immune system and also taking lots of supplements aimed at attacking the cancer.  A worry is the amount of things that she is taking but so far so good!  We are now looking at a Hyperbaric chamber and infra red saunas, obviously the lockdown has prevented us from doing a lot.  I am curious if anyone else has looked at the holistic approach to fighting cancer.  Her cancer cannot be cured but at the moment is in hibernation NOT remission which is what we all hope for.

• Hi , you will sadly find very little on this site re holistic approaches to cancer.

You could try the Penny Brohn cancer centre ( used to be the Bristol cancer centre) They have a bookshop listed online as well as residential courses. I cannot give you any more details in case it goes against the guidelines.

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi have just read your post! I am a 28 year old male and have also been diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer! I have also been told its terminal and offered palliative chemo. But i believe i will get better and Instead of chemo i have chosen to radically change my diet and i have hired a nutritionist to help me get all the anti cancer foods i can! I am also speaking to a professor from the Royal Marsden hospital in London about having immunotherapy and trying to beat this as naturally as possible! As a result of my diet and lifestyle change i actually feel amazing, just the same as pre cancer i can eat perfectly and i am feeling well every day! i take supplements that have been recommended to me by my nutritionist to help with any inflammation in my body! 
    i highly highly recommend a Look at your diet! I couldn’t believe how many amazing results have been achieved from dietary changes alone! There is an amazing book called Chris Beat Cancer that tells us so much about how much diet can compliment treatment! He also has a fab website full of tips and the best foods to eat with anti cancer properties too! 
    i hope your treatment goes well but one thing i feel i have to say, I feel that the NHS withheld a lot of treatment options from me and tried to discourage me looking into any private curative treatments in the UK or abroad! They seemed hell bent on getting me on palliative chemo which they told me would only buy me a year anyway. I found this so odd and strange that i decided to leave their care. Not saying that you shouldn’t listen or do what i’ve done but i really wanted to say that there are lots of options out there that i have found! Positivity is the best! Im super positive that i will get better and im feeling better and stronger with my diet and attitude! 
    all the best! Your daughter can do this!!!

Chris

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ChrisR92

Hi Chris..

It’s so nice to hear your journey.

Thank you for posting this, I have a friend who has stage 4 stomach cancer and I was wondering whether you able to share the details of the professor at Royal Marsden London. I would like to make contact and get some information. 

Many thanks, 

Rabia 

• Hi Rabia!

yes of course. His name is Prof Justin Stebbing. I have contacted him through his own private clinic also in London as i left the care of my hospital locally, however if your friend can get referred to The Royal Marsden on the NHS they may be able to see him there im not sure how it works. He recommended that i have a Caris test (tumour profiling) so he could decide on the best course of treatment for my own personal cancer, not just a generic treatment that may or may not work. Im currently just waiting for them results then he can advise. In the meantime he put me in touch with an incredible nutritionist called Jane Clarke to attack the cancer with my diet too! I feel just as well as i did pre cancer currently so whatever the diet is doing its working! Im sure if your friend contacts the Royal Marsden they will be able to advise how best to see Justin and hopefully that can be on the NHS for them! Although if you want it moving quicker i got an appointment (via video call as i live up North) the next day after contacting privately! Hope this helps and if theres anything else you’d like to know just give me shout! 
    cheers 

Chris

• FormerMember

Thanks Chris. Really appreciate your help and option of contacting you. 

Many thanks, 

Rabia 

• Your welcome Rabia!

Good luck, don't let ‘stage 4’ fill you with fear, i know i will beat it and your friend certainly can too!! 
    Chris

• FormerMember

Hi Chris, 

Really well done on your proactiveness and so glad to hear you feel better! I'm looking to find a nutritionist for my mother who can only eat soft food/soup and I know isn't getting enough nutrients through this. Where did you find your nutritionist?  And also would you be able to let me know what sort of supplements you're taking ?

Many thanks, 

Zarah

• Really interesting reading and happy that there is such a positive vibe for such a horrendous prognosis. My daughter is half wat through her second lot of chemotherapy.  All a bit of a roller coaster but she is feeling really well at themoment.  We were given 6 mnths initially in December 2019.  We are all still here and looking forward to Christmas 2020.  My daughter has also followed a holistic approach to her treatment ALONGSIDE the chemotherapy.  Our advice from various sources offer the advice that you need a killing agent for cancer and chemotherapy has the most evidence of success.  My daughter hates putting chemicals into her body but it seems to work.  We are now looking at Intravenous Vitamin C infusions.  We have to go to Manchester to get them done whis is a day traveling if anyone knows of any clinic, doctor or nurse that can administer IVC higher dose,  we would be grateful (obviously in the North East).  

With regard to supplements, Turmeric, garlic and cinnamon seem to be key players in diet along with cashew, hazelnuts, walnuts, macadamia and brazil nuts.  They all feature high in recipes.  Living well with cancer is a really good recipe book and highly recommend it.  I think diet is important and it certainly makes my daughter feel well in herself.

• This is all v interesting, re using diet alongside conventional methods. 

Trust it continues to give your daughter benefits.

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi Chris! How is your treatment going? My partner has been diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer late December and we’ve been told the same thing - palliative chemo with 12 months life expectancy. We’ve been appalled at the way we were treated at The Christie in Manchester.