Awaiting answers

• 19 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi I’m currently awaiting answers for a large hard lump in muscle of right femur. I’ve had ultrasound, bloods and mri. On Fri I’ll have biopsy and see consultant. The pain used to be an ache at night but it’s now more severe and affects me in daytime too. I’m scared but want to know what I’m facing or if I’m worrying for nothing. Thanks in advance for any replies. 

• Hello Morgyn68

Welcome to the Online Community.

I am sorry to hear that you have a lump on your femur and that you are waiting for answers about what it may be. I can understand that it is really hard to wait to find out and that you just really want to know what is going on. 

it is good that you have had your ultrasound, bloods and mri and hopefully that will help when you have your biopsy and see the consultant on Friday. Only the biopsy will give the answers you need but it seems that they are close to finding out what is causing the lump. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having increasing pain from the lump and I hope that you have some pain relief that helps. If the pain medication is not helping then please do give your GP a call and ask for something stronger. 

It is natural to worry and fear the worst but hopefully at your appointment on Friday the consultant will be able to tell you the probable diagnosis and then it will be waiting a short while for the biopsy results to confirm what is going on. Maybe think about writing a list of any questions/worries you have and take it with you. I used to find it helped as my mind would tend to go a bit blank during appointments and I would forget some of the things we spoke about. If you have someone to go with you, it may help but it is likely there will be a nurse in the room with you and after my appointment I was taken to another room and given the chance to ask other questions. 

I wish you well with your appointment on Friday and please do let us know how you get on.

In the meantime, if talking things through would help, then please do give the Support Line a call. The number is below and I have found them really understanding and helpful. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Morgyn68

I am in a similar situation, although you seem a little further along than me. I had a shoulder injury back in October, all seemed to heal well, then in November found a swelling, assumed it was from the injury. Ended up speaking to a wonderful orthopaedic consultant who has been fantastic in pushing forward. Had an MRI which showed one large and one much smaller tumour in my shoulder and has referred me to the Sarcoma Clinic in Oxford. Waiting for them to call me which I hope will be today. My pain is the same as what you are experiencing, along with worry….its a very surreal time isn’t it. I left a voicemail for the Sarcoma UK support line yesterday so I hope they will call me back today too. You are very nearly at the end of your first waiting period, I hope everything goes ok with your consultant appointment tomorrow x

• Hi Claire I don’t have sarcoma but just wanted to say my daughter has been under the care of the Oxford sarcoma team since March and they are amazing.  You will be in the best hands.  She was desperately ill when she was blue lighted to them.  She had a very large tumour which has shrunk significantly.  I hope you get answers soon but rest assured you will have one of the country’s top teams looking after you from oncologists to the nurses.  There’s also a Maggies centre which are very helpful, kind and have lots of information.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.

• Hi April

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know how amazing the team are at Oxford, with Christmas just around the corner I don’t think I will hear from until the new year so to hear how amazing they are brings comfort….pass my love onto your daughter, such good news that the tumour is shrinking, I’ll keep you both in my positive thoughts

I thought I may need to wait until I have some sort of diagnosis before I spoke to anyone but I will have a look at the Maggies website x

• Thanks for that. Saw consultant who was lovely. Can’t rule out something nasty but had biopsy and they will see me again next week for results. 

• Hi Morgyn

how did you get on with your biopsy results?x

• Ah thanks for thinking of me. Got the news last Fri. Sarcoma, unsure if type, surgery on 17th followed by radiotherapy. Will be a long haul as I’ll need to learn to walk with a knee brace on. 

• Hi   how are you getting on?  Have you heard from the team in Oxford?

• Hi April, 

nothing from Oxford yet, but I did make contact with The Royal Marsden and saw a consultant there last week, I have my biopsy on Tuesday and a follow up appointment has been scheduled for the 17th. Depending on treatment I may be referred back to Oxford as it is much closer to home 

how is your daughter doing? Where is her tumour?

sending you lots of love x

• Hi glad you’re getting somewhere.  Biopsy results can take time as sometimes the initial results are inconclusive & they have to do more with the tissue.  My daughter had to wait 4 weeks for an urgent biopsy & 5 weeks for a CT chest scan after they found the original lesion.  The lesion is soft tissue Ewings sarcoma from her pancreas, although at times they’ve thought it was from the back of her tummy.  She’s so petite & no fat around her organs so it’s difficult.  When they found the lesion it was 10-12 cm,  they finally rescanned her 5 weeks later when she had deteriorated & it had grown to approximately 21cmx16cm & had spread to her liver.   She was rushed from our local ICU to the Churchill ICU with all her organs failing - they never made us think she was so unwell for which we’re very grateful.  Her last scan in October at end of chemo showed the tumour was 4.4cm, the liver lesion was undetectable.  She had 4 weeks of radiotherapy & next scan is on 21st.  Results wont be until February.  She’s getting worked up already.  She looks great & feels well, hair growing back etc.  we both start counselling tomorrow - hers through Macmillan.  Keeping everything crossed for you.  Once you know what you’re dealing with you’ll feel more in control.x