Confused.com

• 2 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hey 

My child has had a 2 ww to the royal Marsden sarcoma clinic after, an ultrasound,MRI and then a further MRI with contrast.

The report stated a sarcoma,  I've googled the life out of sarcomas,  and I'm so confused and frightened. Some sites state all sarcomas are cancerous, and then some say they aren't.

The hospital has told me my child will be lucky to be seen within a month as they are struggling with a major back log.

Having this hanging over our heads is soul destroying.

How should I apply myself, should I assume the worse, are they all cancerous or not?

Thanks x

• Hi,

I’m sorry you and your child are going through this- having to wait such a long time to be seen must be extremely difficult.

I’m not completely sure, but I think all sarcomas are cancerous. You can get types of soft tissue tumours that are benign but a sarcoma is a malignant type of tumour.

That may seem really daunting given you’ve been referred to a sarcoma clinic but most lumps and bumps do end up being benign.

Is the sarcoma clinic referral to talk through the possible diagnosis? I don’t know if this is for everyone, but before I was diagnosed I had to have a CT and biopsy done first. Is there anyone you can contact at the hospital or your doctors to find out exactly what’s happening? It’d be a pain to have to wait a month to be seen in clinic only to be told you have to wait another month for further tests.

Don’t assume the worst. I know it’s easier said than done but you’ll gain nothing from all the worrying. It’s best to try and stay optimistic and refrain from googling anything until you’ve been seen.

I hope this helps and I wish you and your child lots of luck.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi when I was waiting the sarcoma surgeon said some sarcomas are benign...like solitary fibrous tumour. I think that's why they like to biopsy them before intervention. Waiting is hard. I rang sarcoma UK whilst waiting. They were able to explain terminology, what will happen next and possibilities. I found that helpful in the uncertain period. 

Wishing you and your child all the best going forward x