Aldara Treatment Struggles

• 2 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi all,

I’m on week 5 of a 6 week course of Aldara for a BCC on my nose. 

The side effects have been grim so far; headaches, nausea, tiredness, swelling, scabbing and pain. 

Just wondered if anyone has any tips on how to manage the pain and itching?
The wound is about the size of a 50pence piece and is crusted and oozing so struggle to even clean/moisturise it. (apologies for the image!)

Also can’t leave the house as can’t cover it up and finding that really hard too. 

Any advice gratefully received!

• I’m so sorry you are struggling.  Mine was very crusty and itchy too and did ooze.  All I did was use Vaseline which did seem to help.  I am now 4 weeks after finishing the course and the patch is healed. I saw the Dr today and he was really pleased with how it looks.  It must be awful having it on your face.  I could cover mine up with a high necked top or scarf.  I did find that ice cold water applied to the site on a cotton pad also eased the itching a little.  I know the side effects are awful but from my experience they are truly worth it.  You are almost there - keep it up. 

• Thanks for your reply Liz.

So pleased for you that the patch has healed up nicely.

I spoke to the consultant today who advised that I take the rest of the week off the treatment and start again next week. I’m a bit disappointed that I have to have a break but still have a week to go and the reaction has been quite significant so that’s a good sign.

Ice cold water sounds like bliss but I’m afraid every time I touch it it starts to ooze again :o(

I have been using some leftover Dermol cream which seems to be quite soothing.

Thanks for your help and encouragement - lovely to have some support from someone who understands :o)

xx