Newly diagnosed

• 30 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hi. Not sure what I am looking to achieve but just feel the need to share that I just found out I have skin cancer.  Im early 40s and 2 teenage kids.  I know that skin cancer has a generally positive outcome but just keep playing it over in my mind about the kids growing up with no dad and my poor wife being left on her own.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

It's natural to catastrophise but I can guarantee that one day you'll realise that you haven't thought about cancer at all. Obviously it may cross your mind on a sunny day when you're having to cover up but it won't be the all consuming thing that it probably is now.

What type of skin cancer do you have? I had a peek at your profile before replying to you but you haven't completed it yet.

When you have a minute it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi and welcome JHs.  We all feel like this when newly diagnosed.  What type of skin cancer do you have and what is your treatment plan.l  have had 2 basal cell skin cancers removed, one in January near my nose with a skin flap and the other in March with a skin graft.  My plastic surgeon told me I had two very nasty basal cell cancers in 2 very awkward places.  Like you I felt utterly shattered by the diagnosis especially as I am not a sun worshipper and never go abroad.  When I was given a questionnaire I answered no to every question so when the results csme back as a basal cell cancer I was devastated.  I am sure you will find this group helpful to you as it has been my lifeline, and people are always eager to help and share their experiences.  Let us know what type you have, where it is and your trestment plan and I am sure we can help you through this.  I am 73 years old and could have done without this, but I am getting there.  Always ready to help if I can x

• Thank you.  I will update the profile.

I am in next week for an operation to remove the lesion and I expect I will get more details after that.  It was just a bit of a shock on Monday.  I need to get some more details when I go back.  I am hoping it's a simple matter of removing the impacted area and hopefully that's that.

I think I was just overwhelmed and overreacting to the prospect of my own mortality.  I am still not worried about me but a niggling doubt still worries about leaving my family behind.  I am hopeful that I bounce back fine but this is definitely making me think about what's really important in life.

Thank you for your support 

• Thank you.

Like you I avoid the sun.  I am in next week to get the area removed.  It's great that they are reacting so quickly.  Just a bit worrying that they seem to want to crack on so quickly.  I will updat the details when they tell me more next week.

Thanks for the support and I hope you are well too.

• You are welcome and glad they are reacting quickly. Ask what type of skin cancer it is as they should know before they remove it. Mine were both basal cell ones but "nasty" I was told.  I go back in July for final consultation and then I see Consultant perhaps 6 monthly forever.  We are all here for you and what you are feeling is completely normal.  After my first operation I became very emotional and just burst into tears for no reason, it is just a natural reaction,  Good Luck and hope to hear good news from you next week x

• Ah, I see . I wrongly thought that because you said that you'd been diagnosed with skin cancer that you'd already had a biopsy and the results.

I know it's easy to say but try not to assume that it will turn out to be skin cancer until you get the results of the biopsy back.

We've had lots of people over the years that I've been a member of the community that have posted that their consultant has said they definitely have this or that type of skin cancer only to come back and say that the suspicious mole or lesion turned out to be 'just a mole' or 'just a skin growth'. 

The only conclusive way of knowing if it is a skin cancer or not is to do a biopsy but, as Haryln has said, they should have told you what type of skin cancer they think it is. When you have it removed next week ask them how long the results are currently taking in your area of the country. It's usually between 2-6 weeks with the average around the 3-4 week mark.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• That's very reassuring .  I hope I am one of those people that just has something suspect and not serious.  I will ask the questions that you suggested.

• Hi  

How are you doing? I believe your excision biopsy is this week isn't it? Wishing you all the best.

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Jhs - I was recently diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma - I have had similar thoughts to you and very emotional - I agree with Harlyn that this is a shock and takes time to process with all accompanying roller coaster of emotions.I have had a few days away - but the thoughts were never far away.I see you are having a biopsy this week ? Please update us and I hope all goes well ! x

• Good morning

Yes its tomorrow.  Now that a few days have passed, the initial panic has gone and I am feeling confident that it will all be ok.  If its anything worse then i am sure I am in good hands.

Thanks again for your support