uv light

• 15 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi Guys im somewhat embarrased  and ashamed after my diagnosis and treatment for BCC three years ago I developed a complete and utter fear of uv light/sunlight to the stage were I will not leave the house,even at home blackout curtains are permanently drawn and im still petrified that because im only 4 foot away from the window 50pc of the uv is still getting through ..I am paranoid about all the bad press re chemical sunscreens and mineral ones dont seem to work I bought all the clothing and hats but the fear has totally got me I gave up swimming due to uv light being used to clean pool...I have a hospital appointment this wed and the uv is set tobe the highest this year its an important ultrasound but im so petrified of the uv i may not go again im so sorry.

• The only company I know of is solbari I'm afraid, although I think some of marks and Spencer hats are sun safe.

Prescription sunglasses can also have uv protection.

I've tried mineral sun cream and didn't like it so I use boots number 7 and Amber solaire.

Could you ask at your local pool about their use of UV?

I'm afraid dressing for summer sometimes means we need a thick skin with the looks we sometimes get when we're all covered up.

This is just a thought. If you're really worried about UV exposure through windows would wearing a lower factor inside give you peace of mind?

• With the upmost respect to the manager when i asked about the uv water filtration system it was clear he was just reading from a sheet ..same when I asked about the huge windos surrounding the pool area and my questions regarding uv window film protection,which I would assume when any risk assesment would be carried for both staff and patrons would be considered.Great point about the lower factor suncream my doctor has advised a factor 20...my biggest concern is the bad publicity chemical sunscreens get about possibly being a contributor to cancers...although as we are all aware this is an industry worth billions ..and well i will say no more apart from we especially are very vulnerable people...once again to you all thank you for yoour time advice and support greatly respected and appreciated.

• Hi I am so sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment and I know what health anxiety feels like as I suffer from it myself. It sounds like you may need some CBT counselling and it is possible to have telephone appointments which may suit you better. The advice latchbrook has given you seems very wise but then she always is ! Try to trust her advice if you can - please keep me updated as it sounds like you need support. Hold tight you can do this !! X

• Thank you so much and to each and every one of you for not making me feal like some sort of freak...I am on the waiting list for a physcologist which will take 2 years but in the meantime I will do everything I can to get help and support from every available source and you lovely people have given me inspiration to do this ..God Bless you all xx I am going to share a little story with you ..my friend is to call tonight at 6.30 to kindly install a floor in my shed,he also smokes but consideratrly goes to the top of the garden to doit..its a chronic addiction and I understand as I also used to partake...all I could think about to this point is trying to find a way to not have to go outside to him as im paranoid about 2nd and third hand smoke and also the uv will also be around 2 at that time...this has been the pattern for the last 18 mths...well im going to put a little factor 30 my wide brimmed hat and cglasses on and make sure he is well up the garden lol...I have to face this ..small wins..but if i can get it done its thanks to you guys..xx

• Hi replying to you some time after last post but interested.  My skin cancer is very frightening to me.  I will have loss of hair etc after my surgery for a large infiltrating basal cell on my face.  I started with less scary skin cancer and have ended up with this biggie.  I have had uv protection film put on all my windows (99%).  Also just had my car windows done with 99%.  I react to suncream since using chemotherapy cream on my face so only use it when I really have to. Like others do not like  the horrible chemicals in these creams.  I too have read the Which report about non effective suncream.  I have a wide brimmed hat.  There are a number of UV protection hats at Village hats and I found them very good.  I use a lightweight material uv 1/2 face and neck protector, sunglasses and gloves in the garden.  It is  too late to stop any further skin cancer for me but I am  not going to add to the problem by exposing my skin to further damage.  It is horrible wearing a hat, sunglasses, long sleeves and long skirts when it is cloudy as people tend to stare.  I have no alternative, hopefully I will get used to looking strange to others before they will get used to looking curiously  at me.  I will probably not be able to go out for awhile after my surgery so I am going out now and be damned.