uv light

• 15 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi Guys im somewhat embarrased  and ashamed after my diagnosis and treatment for BCC three years ago I developed a complete and utter fear of uv light/sunlight to the stage were I will not leave the house,even at home blackout curtains are permanently drawn and im still petrified that because im only 4 foot away from the window 50pc of the uv is still getting through ..I am paranoid about all the bad press re chemical sunscreens and mineral ones dont seem to work I bought all the clothing and hats but the fear has totally got me I gave up swimming due to uv light being used to clean pool...I have a hospital appointment this wed and the uv is set tobe the highest this year its an important ultrasound but im so petrified of the uv i may not go again im so sorry.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Having a cancer diagnosis, albeit a very treatable one, is a scary time for all of us especially when we realise that we have to adapt our way of living to avoid recurrence.

I have to admit that the first year after I'd been diagnosed with malignant melanoma I developed the vampire-like tendencies of trying to remain in the shade at all times, even to the extent of crossing the street when I was out to avoid the sun! However, I relaxed a bit with the passage of time and just make sure I follow the following guidelines to remain safe in the sun:

1. Stay out of the sun during the strongest time of the day (11am to 3pm) between April and October inclusive in the UK and in all months of the year in any other part of the world
    2. When going outside wear long sleeved tops and trousers/skirts made from natural fibres like cotton
    3. Wear a broad brimmed hat (brim should be at least 3 inches) and sun glasses
    4. Sit in the shade and never sunbathe 
    5. Any part of your body that is not covered, ie face, neck, back of hands should have a sun protection cream of SPF 50 that is effective against both UVA and UVB rays
    6. Re-apply the sunscreen as directed on the bottle
    7. Never use sunbeds
    8. Don't use sunscreen instead of covering up

Whilst you're right to be wary of exposing yourself to too much sun, it sounds like you've let this dominate your life to such an extent that you're staying indoors all the time. It's such a shame, if this is the case, as you've had the treatment, had the cancer removed and you should now be enjoying life again. It might be an idea to speak to your GP about your anxiety so that they are aware and can help you.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Firstly thank you for your time and trouble..my main problem was in the beginning I was fine went by the code if the uv is under3 no protection needed otherwise it was hats never tee shirts or shorts and I was grand ,then I happened to read an article about uv through windows and having chronic OCD  it sent me off the scale I used to go for early morning walks when the uv is low but obviously infra red high but in my mind even though I know its perfectly safe I just focus on the sun being low and thinking it has to be doing me damage...during the day I wont even answer the door for the fear of being exposed to uv over 3 even for a minute its that bad..as I said im ashamed its come to thi and im truly humbled by your courage in what your dealing with..amazing x

• It's lovely that you think I'm courageous but I'm really not. I'm just getting on with the hand I've been dealt as best as I can.

Please do reach out for help from your GP so that you can get back to enjoying your life again.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I have spoken to gp dermatologists and nothing ever seems conclusive its if uv is under3 no protection needed but ive also been told that I should wear suncream indoors as im nevr more than 4ft from a window even though i have the curtains drawn...what is the safe distance from a window if 50pc of uv rays get through does it mean than if the uv is under 6 outdoors im ok ?  I have also had conflicting reports about my early morning walks  6am sun is very bright although little to zero uv present but 1 person tells me your fine no protection and another you should be wearing cream....I know theocd is driving this and im probably looking for answers that dont exist x

• Just to add to what latchbrook has said.

I got very paranoid about going out after having a basal cell removed last year and it eventually affected my mental health as I'm a keen hiker.

My GP and surgeon both told me to take all sensible precautions and get back to normal and check my skin once a month. 

I understand your concerns but feel you really need to talk to your Dr about how extreme your anxiety has become. Don't be embarrassed about how you're feeling its very understandable and please let us know how you get on

• I think a good rule of thumb is to wear sunscreen whenever you go out.

I really don't know about UV protection inside 

• Hi  

I really can't answer your questions about uv rays indoors and I follow the advice that I put in my first reply to you when I'm outside. I don't wear sunscreen indoors.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Exactly the same i have talked to him and he is amazing ive been referred for physcology ..i have had a few scares since my diagnosis and a growth removed from throat and a testicle ultra sound this week..i am a full time carer for my dad and also love helping people with finacial difficulties,benefits ect as im from that background but the uv thing has taken over as i said driven by my ocd...kudos to you for getting back at the hiking ...amazing

• Great they referred you to psychology. OCD must be extremely difficult to live with and it sounds like yours has been severely triggered so I hope you get some help.

I'd like to add that I'm extremely careful with my hiking and wouldn't dream of doing it in the extreme temperatures we're having now and am always covered up and covered in factor 50. I don't think I'd have done it without very kindly but firm lectures from my doctors.

I wear sunblock everyday and I'm well covered up everyday.

Really hope you get the help you need. Please let us know how you get on

• Thank you for your kind words,I was doing well until I started reading too much into it I dont like chemical sunscreens but mineral ones are expensive and their reliability somewhat questionable,if which magazine is to be trusted...its funny how people outside look at you at 6 o clock in the morning or evening for that matter when your covered up and in my case wearing my sunglasses and Akubra cowboy hat ..they think your crazy...incidentally can you recommend any good protective clothing? i dont see any uk firms ive tried solbari but its all chemically treated and quite flimsy to be honest at the moment from 10-5 im rarely out after 6pm and before 9 am I dont use sunscreen after that its a broad spectrum factor 30 hat glasses neck tube and gloves although it is very hard to get decent full coverage ones ..any suggestions greatly appreciated...my walks are usually just 1 hour at a time and before 7am...used to swim a lot but recently gave up as i was told uv treatments were being used in the water..such a shame.