Newbie-recently diagnosed

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi to all.

Recently been diagnosed after initially being told I may have pmp at the end of June last year( won't bore you with the details but my local hospital dropped the ball in a big way). Anywho, diagnosed beginning of Feb this year, met with consultant Mr Samuel at the end of February at Basingstoke, and being admitted into the Hampshire clinic in 2 days for my Crs and Hipec  ths iFriday. Not going to lie, I'm dreading it and like everybody's posts the thought of a stoma afterwards. But got to be positive and think of future recovery.

• Hi - I am a Christie patient - I had CRS & HIPEC in July 2022.  I have a colostomy and to be honest, as a woman, I haven't found having a stoma any more difficult to maintain than changing a tampon. I watched lots of youtube videos about ileostomies which is slightly more difficult to manage, I believe - but manageable nevertheless; I was measured for both a colostomy and an ileostomy. As you say, be positive and think of the future! Good luck on Friday.

• Hi Tgiom,

Thanks for the message of support,as a 55 year old man I'd probably struggle with a tampon. But if a stoma is what I end up with then  I'll have to deal with it. As my wife has said on numerous occasions the alternative doesn't bare thinking about. Again, thanks for the message.