New to the Group

• 6 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi Everyone

I was diagnosed with Pseudomyxoma Peritoneii in March 2022.

Fortunately, I was able to have cytoreductive surgery (CRS) and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) - MOAS - “Mother Of All Surgeries". My surgery took place at The Christie Hospital in Manchester under the care of Mr Paul Sutton in July 2022.

Unfortunately, my recent CT scan in October 2023 showed rapid recurrence on the back and front of the abdomen, liver and bowel.

On 22 December 2023, I started the next challenge in my cancer journey: three months of FOLFOX and Avastin (bevacizumab) chemotherapy under the care of Dr Noor Tariq at Clatterbridge Cancer Centre in the Wirral and administered by the Oncology Day Unit at Nobles Hospital in the Isle of Man.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm not a member of this group but just wanted to welcome you and thank you for sharing your experiences so far.

I'm sure the other members of the forum will be happy to try and answer any questions you might have and share their experiences with you.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for reaching out, though sorry you have had to. You have been through so much already, that to have a recurrence must've knocked you for six. I was orignally diagnosed over 20 years ago with mucinous adenomacarcinoma of the appendix with PMP. Having had numerous operations, chemotheraphy (including the regime you are now on), radiotheraphy, I also had my MOAS surgery at The Christie. Are you tolerating the chemo quite well?

• H ..had my 1st chemo cycle on 22 Dec....started really well at 10am with IV Avastin Bevacizumab and had nice sandwich lunch and then started on FOLFOX...got to about 4pm and then vomitting started.....oh blimey - worse than anything, worse than post-surgery (!!) ...... chemo halted whilst they tried to stop vomitting ......had IV Piriton and another anti-sickness drug, then two ECGs, then Doctor came and decided I had to be moved to A&E in anticipation if an overnight stay in the hospital - so went to A&E at 5pm and straight into treatment room, had injection of metoclopramide anti-sickness at 6pm and by 8pm vomitting completely stopped, A&E Consultant came and said they were admitting me....but I declined as have no spleen and thought being in hospital was too many germs (I think they were relieved as they also were worried about infection for same reason)...went home, and straight to bed.....slept right through, woke up feeling really good as if day before never happened..............unreal! Had my 2nd chemo cycle on 5 Jan – much, much better – got to 4pm (again!) and the nausea started but fortunately the team were prepared and I had IV Dexamethosone steroid, the nausea passed and I was able to continue with the session. Roll on 3rd time lucky on 19th JanuaryFingers crossed

• Hello, I was diagnosed just before Christmas and was referred to the Christie. Just waiting now to find out what’s next. It would seem this is fairly rare.

• I had a really bad reaction to Folfox (which they tod me was was very unusual), it made me really sick. Once the heavier anti-sickness meds were used though, things did get much easier. Good luck with it all.

• It is pretty rare - the thinking is now 4-5 people per million. The Christie team are really experienced in this type of cancer and will help you develop a treatment plan.