Hello, new here, looking for post surgery advice

• 2 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi, I had cytoreduction and HIPEC on 2nd Dec ‘21 at the Christie hospital. The surgery went well but afterwards I had pneumonia and a paralytic ilias (bowel hadn’t woken up by the time I was trying to eat). I came home on 21st Dec and then had severe pain on Christmas Eve and was admitted to my local hospital with bowel obstruction. They think the obstruction was possibly from early forming scar tissue interfering with the bowel or because there was a loop of bowel in a little pool of fluid...apparently can happen after surgery. The bowel seemed to settle down and once I was able to keep food down and was passing bowel movements, they let me home...5 weeks in hospital bar the couple of days I was home before Christmas...so I feel like I’ve already had a long journey. When I got my diagnosis, I was told the recovery period was six weeks and that afterwards I could return to doing things I had done before. I think I took this a bit to literally as I’m really not there yet, I’m still in pain, which I’m not sure if is from my bowel still recovering or the operation or both. I sometimes wish I had a window into my tummy to see what is going on. I can’t describe the pain very well, it’s like a constant ache, and the painkillers don’t help. Sometimes my the surface of my scar is painful, so much so that I can’t stand a t-shirt touching it, but other times it’s fine (scar is healing well, no sign of infection). I’ve got 3 children (youngest aged 2 and wants my constant attention) and although my husband is working from home, he can’t help me as much as I’d like, Has anyone found something that helps with the longer term pain? I’m using a stretchy support belt thing that my husband was given when he injured his chest but I’m wondering if a proper tummy binder would help, has anyone used one? Thank you :) 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read about the pain you're still in.

I don't have the experiences you're looking for but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies from the other members of the group yet. Responding to you will 'bump' your post back to the top of the discussion group where it'll be more easily seen.

Have you spoken to your CNS about the pain you're in as I'm sure she'd be able to help and also advise you on a support belt? If not, giving her a call on Monday might give you the answers you're looking for.

While you're waiting for replies it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you Latchbrook! I’ll do this later today Smiley