Prostatectomy Option

• 26 replies
  • 171 subscribers

In April 2018, following a routine health check, I was told I had very low-grade cancer in my prostate but that it was Stage 1 and required no more than an “active surveillance” approach. That has remained the case until my most recent MRI scan in the summer of 2024 which showed “slight progression” – importantly still within the prostate – but which means that the cancer has now been graded Stage 2.  The outcome is that, with our consultant’s approval, we have decided to opt for a prostatectomy to hopefully remove all cancer cells.  This will take place on 14 October. My wife and I - along with our four children and their partners - are tackling this positively together and we are looking forward to a successful outcome.  I certainly feel fortunate that my cancer was identified at such an early stage, improving the chances of a successful outcome.

My main concerns at this point are centred around incontinence and its management.  I am a generally healthy 69-year-old and hope that I will be able to recover from the operation itself in the 6-8 weeks suggested but recognise that the challenges of incontinence are very likely to be longer term than this.

• Good evening BRBa

sorry you’ve found your way but welcome nontheless. 

From my own experience over these last few months, I had my prostate removed on July 5th, and began the pelvic floor exercises before my op. 
    You must not do the exercises while you wear the catheter post op but get straight into it when it’s removed.

Like you, not knowing how bad it was likely to be, I chose to get the thickest no.3 man pads for certainty. The first week was all about regaining control and being able to hold on before arriving at the loo. As it turned out within a fortnight of having the catheter removed I was using (and still do use) the no.1 thinest pad night and day for confidence. 

Incontinence today isn’t so much about how much as it’s only ever been a small dribble anyway but it’s more that, moving a position or an awkward stretch for something can bring on a small leak. I saw my surgeon a fortnight sgo and he was happy with where I was with it, but did go on to say that it could be a year or so before it’s 100% under control.

To sum it up, the first week was definitely all about holding on but from there it’s been pretty easy.

Just make sure you carry on the exercises past when you think you’re now dry as you can go back a few steps on occasions.

Immediately after the op I did 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening and on the odd occasion 1 hour early pm. After the first fortnight I cut that back to 1/2 hours in the morning and again in the evening.

If you have any questions at all, please get them on here, if I can’t give you an answer from my experience, there’ll definitely be someone in here who can.

Best wishes & good luck

John

• Thank you, John. That's reassuring. 

Are you saying you do an hour's exercises morning and afternoon?  I'm currently being advised to do ten short and ten long exercises no more than three times a day.

• Hello  and welcome to the group.

You have raised a very valid question that is often mooted about Kegel exercises - how many should you do? Once you are sure that you are doing them correctly then think of the muscles as you would when exercising any other set of muscles and don't overdo it or you can actually weaken the muscles with long term overuse. My husband was told to do 3 to 4 sets of 10 a day and found it useful to set up a regular reminder. There is an app called the SQUEEZY APP which some find useful. If in doubt then always check with the professionals.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/impacts-of-cancer/pelvic-floor-exercises

All the best with your surgery.

• Good Morning  

A warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Prostate Community from me, although I am so sorry to find you here. I can't add much to the great posts above and as I didn't go down the surgery route it's not my speciality.

I wish you well with the surgery and the recovery.  A fellow Community member posted a cracking post about "Pads and What you need to Know" a little while ago and here's the link to it:-

RE: Pads and what you need to know 

Prostate Cancer UK also offer a free "Surgery Support Pack" and here's the link to request this:-

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications/all-publications/surgery-support-pack

If I can do anything else for you please let me know. Please keep us updated as to your progress.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi BRBa. I am now over 7 months post op and spend no more than 15 minutes a day on pelvic floors. This works for me and I’ve been fully continent day and night since around week 6 or 7. It’s easy to fall into the trap of not bothering for a while but you do get a little reminder to stick with the plan should you lapse. Good luck with your recovery. 

• Hi BRBa

Welcome to the group. Good luck with the surgery next week. Not much to add to the excellent advice already given. I had the op a year ago. Was fully continent within 12 weeks. My understanding of the stats is that most people recover continence fairly quickly, although it can take up to a year. Very few people have significant long term term issues. Immediately after the catheter comes out you will have little or no control but this doesn't usually last long. 

As others have said, don't restart the pelvic floor exercises until you feel ready and don't overdo it. Build up slowly. I found it beneficial to do them standing and walking as well as sitting and lying. Also gave up caffeine and alcohol while recuperating as these can irritate the bladder.

All the best. Feel free to ask anything.

Cliff

• Thank you, all of you, for your really helpful and positive responses and advice, which I'll definitely be taking.

Will keep you posted.

• Hi BRBa

before the op then for a fortnight after the catheter was removed I did 1 hour when I woke up, 1 hour when I went to bed & on the odd occasion 1 hour in the early afternoon, after that first fortnight I reduced down to 30 minutes in the morning then 30 minutes at night. It may be above what’s recommended but the way I am is no pain no gain, so banging the exercises for the first two weeks enabled me to regain control quickly, it may not be for you as of course everyone is different but in my opinion it worked for me. 

All the best 

John

• Thank you for taking the time to respond again, John.  I really appreciate it.  It’s great to get a variety of experiences because, as you say, everyone is different and what works for one individual may or may not work for another.

• I think it’s a difficult one this, everyone is different. I can only tell you what happened for me. I downloaded the squeeze app a month before my Prostatectomy on which I found I was not isolating the correct muscles and I wasnt holding the squeeze for anywhere like long enough.

I was dry at night almost immediately after my op. And was eventually dry during the day 6-8 weeks afterwards. Please read my profile for more information. I am still actively using the app 6 times a day. 10 long squeezes of 12 seconds and 10 short.