Seeking Your Experience Undergoing Radiotherapy...

• 12 replies
  • 169 subscribers

I have been very heartened and grateful for responses received concerning previous posts I have uploaded. Your honesty, kindness and open-heartedness has been phenominal.

Having completed 4 months of hormone therapy so far, I am due to start Radiotherapy this coming Tuesday - visiting the Hospital every day for the next 4 weeks in a row! If you have undergone this, did you get signed off work by your GP for the whole period of treatment - or did you continue going to work? If so, how did it go?

Although my current Civil Service job is of a sedentary nature and 99.9% Screen Work - I am wondering if I should try to continue working.

What would/did you do? I welcome your feedback, as friends are saying I should "get signed off - no-one cares about you at work any way!" - and there is a degree of truth here. Since I notified "management" of my condition in January - the regional manager has NEVER ONCE asked me how I am doing. Employees are "expendible" I guess, loyalty appears to count for nothing these days.

I welcome your feedback. 

• Hi SCH

I worked throughout my Radiotherapy and I had a driving job at the time so obviously out and about most of the time.

I think it's up to you , if u don't want to work am sure u can get a Dr's note but don't forget going to work can sometimes help mentally 

Good luck

Steve 

• Good Morning  

An interesting question  - I think there are two parts to the answer:-

* Your own mental attitude. How do you feel about your condition? Would a month off work affect staff member's attitudes to you on your return? Would you feel bad about taking a month off? Would it be better to be off the whole period just in case there are side effects?

* The side effects of RT - It's hard going and it takes it out of you - the travelling, the waiting, the fatigue, the preparation for each fraction. There's also the worry if you will get any side effects after RT has been completed.

My personal story - I am a Self Employed Accountant - the hospital is less than a mile from home. Enema for RT was completed at home and I walked in or took the bus (no parking issues although RT patients got a free space at Oldham) and tried to keep fit. Some appointments ran up to an hour late. As the fractions were completed I liked to visit the toilet before departing for home!

Yes I continued working and felt better for it - if I hadn't I think the fatigue would have got me and an afternoon nap would have been on the cards most days.

For me Prostate Cancer isn't an illness  -it's a condition I share my life with and it's not stopping me doing anything I want to do.

The strange thing was after the 20 fractions - I missed my hospital visits - the chats to fellow patients and staff - it was as if I was thrown out into the wilderness!!

I hope this helps - bit of a Sunday morning sermon but hey-ho! - feel free to ask anything specific.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi SCH, 

Difficult one, because times of appointments and travel can be very difficult as well. If you decide to work you need to have a good chat with Hr about it. Mr Bw worked all through because he is self employed and has no choice really, like you he’s mainly online and works from home. He was able to work around the appointments as they were all first thing and he worked in the evening if he needed to. Half way through the month it became a lot harder and he struggled a fair bit with tiredness and he also managed to hurt his back, so it wasn’t ideal. But he was still able to work. He is a bit of a workaholic and preferred to keep busy. He actually found the two weeks after RT the hardest as he was by then completely exhausted. But he still managed to work! Much to my annoyance. I think it’s just him, he pushed through and that approach worked for him. Has to be down to the individual. You may want to keep busy to take your mind off it or maybe think about something flexible and part time while you are having treatment ? Is that an option? 

Best wishes 

L

• Hi SCH,

I've had two months of RT (37 sessions). For the first month I worked half days. As my RT centre was over an hour drive each way it would take me half a day to get there, be treated and get back. After a month I was too fatigued to work, I just couldn't get any coherent thought and wasn't able to function at work, so took full time sick leave. It took me quite a while to recover from the fatigue of RT and I had a couple more months off after that. 

My work is 100% screen work, but requires a lot of concentration and thinking (I do data analysis/modelling)

Good luck with your treatment

G

• Hi SCH

Like everyone else has said, how it impacts you is very personal thing. I also work at a screen doing software development and worked through most of it.  The last 2 weeks were definitely hard going and I did give up working for the second half of the last week.

Good luck with it.  Steve

• Hi

I had taken early retirement when I was undergoing RT, however, even though nearly all the appointments were around the same time, travel time ate into my day. Although only a 6 mile trip it sometimes took 45mins each way ( welcome to Bournemouth traffic!). So by the time I'd got there, endured the enema, drank the water and lay on the sunbed for a few minutes, it was rarely much before lunch by the time I got home. Factor in the machine breakdowns which throws any schedule up in the air.

The fatigue you will probably get, particularly towards the end, will also impact you ( I, too, had 37 sunbed sessions and all I wanted to do was crash on the sofa ). The RT may also cause bowel problems which you most definitely wouldn't want in the office.

My feeling is, I'm sure the Civil Service has a really good sickness benefit so, I would take the time off. You are going through enough without having to worry about work. 

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi  , I would suggest you give yourself the option to go to work if you feel ok, but don’t if you become tired or have any side effects.  It really does vary from man to man, but having a constant of work and the social interaction, while the drudgery of daily sessions goes on, may very well be beneficial for you.  Best of luck, David

• Hi,

I went sick, my job at the time were very good with me and seem to understand, opinions will differ , I however feel  there’s alot to do , preparing yourself with correct fluids , travelling, you may get different appointments times , you will get tired after a week or so , 

if you’re in a position that they pay you , go sick , that’s my opinion, however of course it’s completely up to you.

i wish you all the best with your RT ..and beyond 

Tony

• Hi Seeking Clear Horizons,

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I get the impression from the tone of your question that you feel it would be wrong to get signed off if there is no need.  If that is the case, I think you need to discuss the situation with your line manager & see what can be put in place to help you.   It may of course be that you find that because of how the treatment affects you that you do need to be signed off work for a period of time.

I'm not sure which arm of the Civil Service you work for, but there should be no reason why they cannot make reasonable adjustments to support you & having worked in the Civil Service (DWP) prior to retirement I'm shocked that your Regional Manager has been like that.  Things to consider could include :

what time of day your treatment sessions are & what travelling time to & from hospital is needed - Is treatment at the same time each day - can you work from home - can you work reduced hours which may need to reduce further over the 4 week period as tiredness sets in & then slowly build up again afterwards - having some in built flexibility would be great as there may be days when the appointments are running late or you might be feeling the effects, & finally, the type of work you are expected to complete (not time sensitive).

I was fortunate in that I been retired for about 18 months before being diagnosed with PC (if you can call it fortunate) so didn't have the same concerns, but although my appointment times varied each day I kept myself fully occupied both before (if it was later scheduled time) & after (if it was an early scheduled time) & before & after (when it was in the middle of the day).  I am sure it helped me mentally being busy & carrying on as much as normally possible as I'm a firm believer that you can think yourself poorly.

Best Wishes

Brian

• Thank you Brian.

You are right with your perception regarding the "tone" of my enquiry.

I come from a different Generation - we were not "snowflakes" in our time - our mentality was/is of a stoic and persevering nature and disposition - unlike today where people will take time off for breaking a fingernail! (I exaggerate, but you get the point).

This Online Community and Macmillan Nurse I have spoken to, has been very helpful and I appreciate everyone's feedback. As I enter "the unknown" - I am better able to navigate the choppy waters ahead because of you all.

Thank you.