My husband's journey....continued.

• 20 replies
  • 159 subscribers

Hi guys,

I thought it better to continue with my tome here because many threads were intertwined and it was getting a little confusing...also, some of the wonderful people commenting really deserved the attention of Macmillan Champions moreso than me!

So, firstly thankyou to everyone that has commented on my husband's story...you are stars and I hope you will read this and it will demonstrate that standing up for each other and participating in forums such as this really helps inspire other people..... Our story in short,

My husband was admitted to hospital, via A&E presenting with urine retention on 6th April, a catheter was fitted, (it is still in situ) and a DRE was performed and an ultrasound. The consultant he saw said his prostate was very enlarged and it may be a sign of prostate cancer. Nothing more was said.He remained in hospital for 3 days and came home. He heard nothing more from the hospital until Saturday 13th April at 7.30pm when he was asked to go to SAU for blood tests, the only news that came from that visit was that his kidney function had improved. My husband has not been in hospital before other than as a 10year old boy, he has not visited a doctor in 16years, therefore, he had no idea what questions to ask. I was with him but knowing he is a quiet, private man I chose to remain quiet, we understand that at that time his PSA score was 130 (I found this out later, because I asked). Now we move to the step that brought me to this amazing site.....By Friday 19th April, my husband had yet to meet with his consultant, in fact he did not know which consultant was responsible for his care, all that had happened  to that day was, he had had 4 blood tests, 1 ultrasound, 1DRE. So, on 19th April, he turned up to an appointment to have a trial catheter removal, only to be told the appointment had been cancelled at the behest of his consultant, and emails to that effect had, apparently, been sent to him, plus his consultant had tried to phone him. Neither had occurred, and the emails have yet to surface. On 18th April, the day before he had a bone/whole body scan and the following Monday, 22nd he had an MRI. However, on 19th, without any explantion as to why, my husband was prescribed hormone therapy Bicalutamide, long story short, upon arrival at the Urology centre, he was told his appointment was cancelled, a nurse read through the emails (he had never received) and decided she should speak to him because he said he had not been called by the consultant and received no emails......she told he that his catheter would not be removed in the foreseeable future and his medication was to be changed immediately, however she could do nothing at the moment. I then asked how that could be, we were there and something needed to be done.....she agreed to phone his consultant, (now we had her name)....the upshot was the nurse wrote a prescription for the hormone thereapy.....with no explanation why it was being given, I have medical training and am aware of altered states of health and the drugs used for many conditions, I therefore asked, 'so without further tests are you suggesting my husband has prostate cancer, 'she replied 'I and not authorised to tell you anything more that I have said.' My husband left that office believing he was still under investigation but probably for an enlarged prostate, I knew differently but he did not want to hear that.....he knows nothing of my world (job) and he chooses not to....he did not read the insert for the medication, which clearly states, 'for the treatment of postate surgical removal or advanced prostate cancer.'   My husband remained in denial,me, I know NICE and NHS protocol and I know that what happened should never have happened. On Tuesday afternoon I called the consultant's secretary and asked why my husband had been prescribed cancer medication when no one had actually face-to face diagnosed cancer?

Yesterday at 11am, the consultants secretary phoned to invite my husband to meet with his consultant and urology lead nurse to discuss his results and care today, 24th. Today, the consultant appologised for the failure of the department and confirmed that my husband did indeed have prostate cancer and she is 99.9% certain that it has metastasised to the lymph nodes and bones. She offered his an appointment at 2pm today to have his biopsy, which he has done, in total 30 and he will have a CT within 7 days. 

Me, I am not surprised, it is what I expected.....otherwise there was no reason to prescribe Bicalutamide......I suppose I just want to say to everyone that has taken the time to support me.....thank you, you are indeed amazing because you listened to me, you care......from me to anyone reading this, just be there for your loved one, know that you can help, you can support in so many ways, but most of all, know that you are entitle to question your partner's care. No, you are not entitled to know the ins and outs if you partner has not given consent, but you are entitle to ask...WHY or WHYNOT!!!!

I am hoping this makes sense because it is a rush job.....I just wanted to say thankyou everyone.....you are warriors and you deserve recognition.

• Hi Millie,

I'm really sorry to hear your husbands diagnosis, Your husband is in a similar position to mine and I want to reassure you that the treatment he will have can be excellent at controlling things for many years. You and your husband are not alone, stay here and go through this with us, you will find many people here that have a similar diagnosis and they are doing very well. There are also wives and partners that understand how you feel. We are all different and we handle things differently, but we are on the same journey.

L

• BarryW....thankyou, you don't know how much I appreciate your  kind words.  I am trying to get my husband to think in terms of joining this group. He is not much of a 'sharer or talker.'

Kind Regards.

• Hello Millie, though very sorry to hear your husband has advanced prostate cancer, it is good that  tests are being done and soon results will be in and the best treatment plan can be delivered. Like BarryW's partner my diagnosis is similar to your husbands and i would echo everything she has said about treatments and add there are new treatments and drugs to fight prostate cancer becoming available all the time, and this is the best place to find them, and get first hand information from those that have had them, best wishes with your results, i hope they are kind, take care.

Eddie xx

• Hi again Millie.

Well your fighting has got you results a lot quicker than normal, so well done. It just proves that if you know the right questions and stand up for your rights you can get things done. With spread to the bones and lymph nodes then some treatments are ruled out but, thanks to many recent developments, new combinations are available which are giving our men a far better prognosis than they would have had even a few short years ago. My husband also has advanced prostate cancer with spread to distant lymph nodes, but with a very aggressive form, and over the last 4 years we have been through 3 recurrences, so have experienced different hormone therapies, 33 sessions of EBRT, 6 rounds of Docetaxel chemotherapy and recently 6 sessions of SBRT to the distant mets. Our oncologists say they still have more tools in the toolbox if necessary. Hopefully your husband has a less aggressive form which means that his initial treatment will hold things at bay for a lot longer. The one good thing about all this is that it has brought my husband and myself much closer together and we are determined to enjoy whatever time we have left together. I am sure your fighting spirit will keep you staying strong and positive but that can be difficult to maintain at times so don't forget to look after yourself as well.

• Hi Alwayshope,

Thankyou for that....seriously, you will never know how much your reply means to me....to have someone that has trodden the boards before us and can tell us more about the what ifs and maybes is worth its weight in gold.....I admire your spirit, you must have such strong resolve between you and are clearly cancer warriors..... can certainly teach each of us a thing or two about  keeping the faith and fight strong.  I for one am grateful that you are both willing to share you story and knowledge...

My warmest, sincerest wishes for peace and comfort are flying toward you and your husband.xx 

• Eddie,

As usual, wise words....and thank you for your support, It is encouraging to hear from people who know their stuff!!! 

In these ever changing times I as so grateful to each of you.

Millie.xx

• Hello Again Millie ()

Well that's amazing that the NHS can pull it's finger out when it wants to - at least you are now on the formal pathway and you have a little bit less to chase up.

I am so sorry to find your husband on the Advanced Prostate Cancer journey - there are many Community members on the same or similar pathway and the bond holding them together - Prostate Cancer - is strong and the support is incredible. I can't remember on the old thread if I gave you the following links but here they are-

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications/all-publications/advanced-prostate-cancer

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications/all-publications/advanced-prostate-cancer-managing-symptoms

If I can do anything else for you please let me know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you for your kind words Millie. I only found this forum a year ago and it has made such a big difference being able to share our journey and have the support of others on here through the wobbles and the successes, for which I thank them -even if they do have to put up with my wacky sense of humour at times. With your experience I am sure you will develop into a valued member of the community because we are in it for the long haul.

• Hi Millie,

I, too, had one difficult encounter with a consultant in urology.  In your case, and in their (poor) defence, they saw the PSA 130 and have fast tracked him on to bicalutamide ahead of the biopsy, in the knowledge that the cancer growth needs stopping ASAP.  Not ideal, I know, and attitude & approach to patients is lacking, but console yourself that he was already on the right treatment pathway ahead of biopsy: which is very unusual. If it was me (in hindsight), I would want the hormone treatment (bicalutamide then the jabs) as early as possible.  Of course, the jabs will be delayed until the scans are completed (so they can see any growth before it shrinks).   Hope this helps you contain your (justified) anger.  They’re doing their best for him, of that I’m sure.  Cut them a bit of slack - I imagine that most urology departments are working like one armed wallpaper hangers as they deal with a tsunami of prostate cancer patients.   AW

• Hi AW

It's not in my profile but I too was placed on Bicalutamide whilst an in patient in hospital a good two weeks before my full diagnosis at the MDT meeting. I was told by the Consultant at my bedside I had Prostate Cancer and they were starting me on the cancer pathway that day as my original PSA was 182.

The thought then was "Advanced PCa" because of the high PSA but starting treatment then I am a "lucky boy" as the little blighters had only got to my pelvic lymph nodes on their "walkabout". I am forever thankful treatment started when it did.

Oh by the way AW have you missed your vocation?

I imagine that most urology departments are working like one armed wallpaper hangers as they deal with a tsunami of prostate cancer patients.   AW

Surely you should be on the stage !! JoyJoy.

Best wishes - Brian Thumbsup

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.