My husband's journey....continued.

• 23 replies
  • 158 subscribers

Hi guys,

I thought it better to continue with my tome here because many threads were intertwined and it was getting a little confusing...also, some of the wonderful people commenting really deserved the attention of Macmillan Champions moreso than me!

So, firstly thankyou to everyone that has commented on my husband's story...you are stars and I hope you will read this and it will demonstrate that standing up for each other and participating in forums such as this really helps inspire other people..... Our story in short,

My husband was admitted to hospital, via A&E presenting with urine retention on 6th April, a catheter was fitted, (it is still in situ) and a DRE was performed and an ultrasound. The consultant he saw said his prostate was very enlarged and it may be a sign of prostate cancer. Nothing more was said.He remained in hospital for 3 days and came home. He heard nothing more from the hospital until Saturday 13th April at 7.30pm when he was asked to go to SAU for blood tests, the only news that came from that visit was that his kidney function had improved. My husband has not been in hospital before other than as a 10year old boy, he has not visited a doctor in 16years, therefore, he had no idea what questions to ask. I was with him but knowing he is a quiet, private man I chose to remain quiet, we understand that at that time his PSA score was 130 (I found this out later, because I asked). Now we move to the step that brought me to this amazing site.....By Friday 19th April, my husband had yet to meet with his consultant, in fact he did not know which consultant was responsible for his care, all that had happened  to that day was, he had had 4 blood tests, 1 ultrasound, 1DRE. So, on 19th April, he turned up to an appointment to have a trial catheter removal, only to be told the appointment had been cancelled at the behest of his consultant, and emails to that effect had, apparently, been sent to him, plus his consultant had tried to phone him. Neither had occurred, and the emails have yet to surface. On 18th April, the day before he had a bone/whole body scan and the following Monday, 22nd he had an MRI. However, on 19th, without any explantion as to why, my husband was prescribed hormone therapy Bicalutamide, long story short, upon arrival at the Urology centre, he was told his appointment was cancelled, a nurse read through the emails (he had never received) and decided she should speak to him because he said he had not been called by the consultant and received no emails......she told he that his catheter would not be removed in the foreseeable future and his medication was to be changed immediately, however she could do nothing at the moment. I then asked how that could be, we were there and something needed to be done.....she agreed to phone his consultant, (now we had her name)....the upshot was the nurse wrote a prescription for the hormone thereapy.....with no explanation why it was being given, I have medical training and am aware of altered states of health and the drugs used for many conditions, I therefore asked, 'so without further tests are you suggesting my husband has prostate cancer, 'she replied 'I and not authorised to tell you anything more that I have said.' My husband left that office believing he was still under investigation but probably for an enlarged prostate, I knew differently but he did not want to hear that.....he knows nothing of my world (job) and he chooses not to....he did not read the insert for the medication, which clearly states, 'for the treatment of postate surgical removal or advanced prostate cancer.'   My husband remained in denial,me, I know NICE and NHS protocol and I know that what happened should never have happened. On Tuesday afternoon I called the consultant's secretary and asked why my husband had been prescribed cancer medication when no one had actually face-to face diagnosed cancer?

Yesterday at 11am, the consultants secretary phoned to invite my husband to meet with his consultant and urology lead nurse to discuss his results and care today, 24th. Today, the consultant appologised for the failure of the department and confirmed that my husband did indeed have prostate cancer and she is 99.9% certain that it has metastasised to the lymph nodes and bones. She offered his an appointment at 2pm today to have his biopsy, which he has done, in total 30 and he will have a CT within 7 days. 

Me, I am not surprised, it is what I expected.....otherwise there was no reason to prescribe Bicalutamide......I suppose I just want to say to everyone that has taken the time to support me.....thank you, you are indeed amazing because you listened to me, you care......from me to anyone reading this, just be there for your loved one, know that you can help, you can support in so many ways, but most of all, know that you are entitle to question your partner's care. No, you are not entitled to know the ins and outs if you partner has not given consent, but you are entitle to ask...WHY or WHYNOT!!!!

I am hoping this makes sense because it is a rush job.....I just wanted to say thankyou everyone.....you are warriors and you deserve recognition.

• Hi  

interesting post about starting early.  Also, the reason I had whole pelvis radiotherapy (WPRT) was to “get ahead of the game” - they didn’t find any lymph involvement, but it was only CT and MRI.  Even PSMA PET scans wouldn’t pick up microscopic mets, so I decided on the “pre-emptive “ strike approach. I discussed it with my very helpful and knowledgeable consultant, and she agreed (she originally was going do target prostate only, as no evidence of further involvement).  What swung the decision was that it’s difficult to go back to the pelvic area once prostate has been treated, as overlap limitations mean that some areas might not have a full dose on the second visit.  AW

• MB, I love you story, so positive, I'm hoping that we have the same thing and it switches sides at some point with all the full on zapping of prostate, nodes and bones, I like to think it could be possible. HT instantly and throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it early seems like such a good move.         Lx

• As I said I am a "lucky boy". the 3 years HT isn't great I am 28 months in an I had a "blip" a couple of weeks ago - very down - but rallied by this forum and the two words "Curative Pathway".

Considering where I was Christmas day 2021 - every day is a bonus and my outlook on life has changed.

I have had delays in my treatment - BUT - I am still here and life is good at the moment - back to Turkey for over 3 weeks on 9 May and you know I put it all down to 3 things, The NHS and their quick action when I was admitted to hospital - This forum and The positive attitude my wife and I both have in fighting this bugger.

Kindest Regards and thanks for the support you have continued to give to me and the wider Community - it's not gone unnoticed.

Brian xx

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello Millie I’m really sorry to hear about your husband’s diagnosis and your terrible experience with your urology services. The total lack of care and inadequate communications from the staff are so much like our own! I am a retired nurse and my husband is quiet, reserved and a private person too!  ( I always say I am the gobby one!). I fought so hard for him to get the care he needed that I was exhausted by the time he was transferred over to oncology!

I still cannot understand why two services in the same trust could operate so differently, though! I can honestly say that the only two things we did not get in oncology with the NHS that we would have got from private oncology were carpets on the floor and a free cup of coffee! The whole set up was fantastic

we never knew who our oncology consultant was! Every letter showed a different consultant but we always saw junior doctors! I once pleaded with one doctor to treat my husband as a human being and not a can of beans in a box of 23 other cans of beans on a conveyer belt! My husband is deaf! At one appointment the doctor had a fan blowing noisily on his desk right in front of us. I said that my husband could not hear what was being said. The doctor moved the fan slightly but still my husband could not hear! What planet are some of these people on ? Definitely not the same planet as I was when patient care ( in all aspects) was drilled into us!

I really hope that you get all the information and all- embracing total patient ( including for yourself) care in a timely manner. 

I kept a diary throughout and we sent in a formal letter of complaint with dates, times and names . I don’t think it improved things in urology but it did make us feel better to actually write it!!!

best of luck to you both !

• Hi Alpine Wanderer,

This is exactly the same treatment OH had with the Microscopic mets. I think it's the way to go."pre-emptive strike" is the right approach for sure. I think it's quite unusual and like you say it was at your suggestion and not offered initially. I think our consultant was really good in changing up the RT to cover everything that could be possibly next once it had broken through. My partner was knocked for 6 after, but he's back on form now. You? do you feel ok? 

L

• Hi L and AW, the kitchen sink approach is common in most countries for APc as is a chemotherapy first approach, Our treatment strategies are a little stuck in the past, though good progress is happening

Eddie

• I don't think it is just the kitchen sink approach which is different. Here 80 is not considered old, plus the treatment and care is a lot more joined up with the doctors talking to each other regularly to formulate the best treatment plan for the patient.

• Hi AH, the frustrating thing is when they want to different departments, even different hospitals can work together when they want to. My oncologist and cardiologist work closely together on all my cancer and heart treatments but my LCN at urology, who is fab, and is on my MDT, struggles to get any information from oncology at a different hospital, PS, I don't see why they ask your age, if your in employment or what family you have, it should be irrelevant, your treatment should be based on your medical needs.

Eddie xx

• I agree that treatment should be based on medical needs, plus most effective techniques, along with a holistic approach to give the best quality of life, . and it is here. It is just that I get the impression in the UK other factors may come in to play like regional approval of drugs, cost, availability of machinery or expertise, plus age of patient. e.g. Brachytherapy boost and SBRT are not universally available and it is up to the patient to do their homework and ask the questions to find out if they can have it.

• Hi AH I haven't mentioned  all my health issues on the forum, but there are many, so many I can't remember them all, but I have no idea how I can feel as well as i do, so maybe holistic therapies are more important than we think. I do a few massage, wellbeing, mindfulness and relaxation all done originally to help with sleep issues, but carried on as they help physically but more importantly emotionally,

Eddie xx