Hello

• 12 replies
  • 155 subscribers

Hello everyone, my husband was diagnosed feb 23, he's 72 and reasonably active.  the cancer is on his shoulder and hip too.  he started the hormone therapy immediately and now on the 3 monthly injection... it was going well till the hot flushes started.   looking for advice on dealing with hot flushes (they bypassed me during menopause)  I have him take vitamin and sage supplements daily on the nurses advice.  He can't stand taking anything so I feel I am forcing him.

He's started going fishing again but gets tired easily so sleeps early and then awake all night worrying about wanting a wee. He's also getting some pain in his groin area b4 urination - he doesn't explain it well and keeps it to himself but I see it in his face and demeanour.  His doc told me to just buy co-codamol or neproxen over the counter.  

So, appreciate any thoughts you may have.

• Hi AbuGarcia,

My partner takes MedroxyProgesterone Acetate 10 mg twice a day. He used to have around 20 hot flushes a day which became a problem . The medication has made a big difference .

Best wishes 

LSlight smile

• Hello  abuGarcia and a warm welcome to the forum though sorry you have to be here, Good to hear he is being active and fishing too. I know a lot of guys had good results with sage for hot flushes so maybe a different brand or way of taking it may be all he needs, I took medroxyprogesterone for mine as they were really bad and i  was good in a couple of weeks. Can you please tell us what vitamins you are using. Regarding the pain in the groin, maybe you should ask your cancer nurse or urology as he may need more help than painkillers, best wishes.

Eddie

• Hello   Another warm welcome to the online Community from me - I am so sorry to find you here.

* Hot Flushes - Mine were bad but cured by a 1 a day Sage Tablet called Menoforce from Holland & Barrett - they are expensive but worked for me.

* To ease his worry about having a wee at night - incontinence pads or pants - only the two of you will know he's got them so no need to be embarrassed.

* Pain in the groin area - I agree with  and think you need to get in touch with your hospital team regarding this.

I hope the above helps.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks for that information, the ferocity of the flushes are really getting to him.  I cant offer much other than a wet flannel for the back of his neck and making sure he's taking the sage. I'll have to get in touch with the doctor.

• Thanks   - Vitamins -  he's taking calcium+ Vit D and vit C .  We;ve not seen anyone in Urology since the diagnosis they keep bumping his appointments.  The last time i called the nurse she said take oil of evening primrose or sage - feeling a bit lost and lonely in this -  not much support without going out to find it.  Thanks again 

• Thanks  I feel we've been pretty much left on our own with the local GP surgery doing the injections and hospital appointments bumped due to strikes. So your replies are very welcome.

• Hello  

It's no problem. We have all been there and know just how you feel.

If you are having issues with your hospital appointments - in the first instance, take your complaints to the hospital PALS (Patient Advisory and Liaison Service). They should be able to get you back on track.

(i have just realised your user name is a Fishing Tackle supplier Grin)

Best wishes - Brian

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Abu Garcia

A very warm welcome it is great to meet you today sorry that you have joined the prostate family but we are a good bunch really.

I have also been on Hormone Therapy since my diagnosis last June.

Hot flushes are a continuing problem but I use a neck fan and a wet flannel which works okay.

Does the sage tablets help????

Prostate Worrier.

• Hi,  I feel the sage should work but he will not take tablets at the time indicated .. like after a meal or with a 200ml glass of water.  He just takes everything in one go in the morning - i cant keep my eye on him 24/7, and he's supposed to be a grown up!  I fear he's his own worst enemy!  So its the fan and the flannel until i can retrain him.  Kindest regards

• Hi Brian - thanks for the info,  Yes Abu Garcia is one of his fishing rod brands! along with quite a few others Slight smile