Back in the saddle? When?

• 0 replies
  • 108 subscribers

I'm 8 weeks post op and recovering well from my prostatectomy. I've done other threads but need people's thoughts on this matter. 

I've not been out on my push bikes, probably since before my biopsy. I couldn't cope without the motorbike so did a ride up to Stranraer the weekend before the operation. I sat on a sheepskin, almost sidesaddle most of the way as I worried about irritating my nasty prostate further! 

Pre op, the surgeon said I shouldn't ride for a year after the surgery! My wife was with me and this hasn't been forgotten. 

I saw the same surgeon briefly at the 7 week review and he told me everything was a success but his registrar saw me for the main review.  He was surprised by the 1 years advice and suggested 3 months. My wife is unconvinced as the consultant was a wonderful man who inspired both our confidence. 

How have others approach their rehabilitation and getting back into the saddle? I had nerve sparing on one side and am mindful of protecting the nerve regeneration but really miss my bikes! 

Thank you in anticipation of getting a numb bum in the near future!