From brain tumour to prostate cancer.

• 4 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hello. I am new here and really struggling. 

My lovely Mum was gardening one day then diagnosed with brain tumours the next and was told nothing could be done.

I moved in with her to look after her. She died 5 weeks later. There was no other help. No carers.

On the last day we could not get her into hospital due to lack of beds or even into the hospice again due to lack of beds.

She died on a trolley in A+E but I  was there holding her hand. This was June 2024.

Now my Husband has been told he has advanced prostrate cancer. Out of the blue. He was being treated for what we thought was a urine infection.

He was admitted to the hospital two weeks ago and has been told that the MRI showed cancer now out the prostate and into the bladder lymph nodes. They confirmed his only treatment would be hormone therapy.  Last week he had a double nephrostcomy which is utterly devastating.  

The multi disciplinary team are meeting on Friday and we have an appointment on Monday to discuss my Husbands case.

• Hello  

A warm welcome to the Macmillan online Prostate community - I am so sorry to find you here and in view of your past history with cancer we will try and support you and your husband as best we can.

Am I to assume that the Prostate Cancer has been diagnosed from the MRI scan and there has been no biopsy of the prostate?  If I am correct - do you have any PSA results you could give us?

I am sharing with you a link to our guide to Hormone Therapy and this is here-

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/hormonal-therapy-for-prostate-cancer

To help you with the meeting on Monday after the MDT meeting here's a link to our guide as to what to ask at that meeting-

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatment/your-treatment-options/questions-to-ask-your-healthcare-team

You may find that a call to our Support line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) will be beneficial as they have more resources than I have and may well be able to offer you some extra support.

We as a Community are here for you. Feel free to ask any questions you have, nothing is too trivial.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Yes. The cancer was diagnosed via a MRI scan. No biopsy taken.

No idea what PSA is and do not have any results. 

Completely in the dark and hoping to have all information regarding my husband told to us at the meeting on Monday. Have googled for information regarding prostate cancer and I have a checklist of questions to ask.

Just a bit overwhelmed.  

Thank you. 

• Hello  

Thank you for your reply. I would try and stay away from Dr Google for information, much of it is either out of date or just wrong. For information use Macmillan, Prostate Cancer UK or ask this community direct questions.

Take your time - read the information I have provided in the two links in my post above and then ensure you have all the questions and information you need for Monday. If you need to ask me/us anything else please do so.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.