Starting Rt

• 3 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Good evening knowledgeable People.  My OH is starting RT in a few weeks.  I was just wondering what happens on his first session.  He has had CT and MRI planning scans but according to his letter, it says the first session is about one hour long. I was just wondering why it is longer than his future RT appointments. This is all so new to us and just really wanting a heads up.  Thankyou all so much.

Majestic

• Good Evening  

The first RT is usually a "planning scan" where they do all the measurements and give you 3 tattoos (proper ones!!) which they use to line you up correctly at each future fraction.

At mine they showed us the machine we were to use. Gave us a practice enema (thanks NHS) and told us what not to eat and drink as when you are on the sunbed they don't want you moving or having "wind".

We were told each fraction was "empty bowel - empty bladder" (most NHS trusts are "empty bowel - full bladder".). We were to turn up, use a micro enema and we were called in after emptying both bowel and bladder (I did mine at home as I live close to the hospital). We also had free reserved parking for each fraction.

You soon get into a routine and if you listen to the radiologists you will be fine. At the planning scan which was about 2 weeks before I started the 20 fractions I also received a list of all 20 dates and times along with a box of 24 micro enemas (deep joy!!).

I hope this helps - any questions ask away - he will be fine.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thankyou Millibob, he has had the planning scans, tattoos and has been handed the enemas to take at the hospital. He will be having 20 fractions starting in 2 weeks. We haven’t been told much more but I'm presuming we will be told more at the 1st appointment. Thankyou so much for all your help and advice on this Journey.  I’m sure I will be back with more questions soon. Best Wishes, 

Majestic

• Hello  

Ah, then I assume they ask you to turn up early doors at the first one just to make sure he's fine with the enema etc.

All I would say then is to keep an eye on his number 1's and 2's and report any changes to the Radiology staff, although they will ask him everyday.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.