Hip pain

• 4 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hi. I am 12 months post radiation treatment (37 sessions) My PSA is know 1.5 down from 69. The cancer spread to my lymph nodes but not to the bones, I have been having hormone treat for 18 months. My problem is I am experiencing severe pain in my hip area when walking especially up hill and I was wandering if this is something anyone else has experienced. I have had further scans which show the cancer has not spread. Thanks. Terry

• Hello Terry ( 

Like you I have had Radiotherapy both to the Prostate  and the Pelvic Lymph Nodes and that was 20 months ago. I am still on Hormone Therapy although I have had my last injection now.

Walking up hill causes me some hip pain and some back pain but I put it down to being overweight, old and the hormone therapy still being in my system and I am 69 next month.

As you have had further scans and these confirm there is no further spread (and I am aware that hip pain can be a sign of this) I would have a word with your G P. (You don't say what age you are but it may be that you are heading for a hip replacement!).

I do hope this helps - let us know how you get on.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks for your advice Brian, I should have mentioned, I am 57 slightly overweight and relatively fit, before treatment I was a keen fell walker but struggling with any type of incline now. 

• Hello Terry ( 

Sounds like me BC (Before Cancer) I was up and down the various hills near me with the dog on a regular basis (I live in the Pennines)  AD (After Diagnosis) my walking is no where near as good and hills are a no-no!!

I still put it down to old age, HT and my weight - but at 57 I think you should have a word with the GP.

In my own mind I still think i am a youngster - but after a recent fall and a couple of other events I am coming to terms with my limitations!! Frowning2.

Best wishes - Brian

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi

I once got told not everything is cancer related, have you visited your doctor ? I’m not saying it’s nothing to do with cancer, but I would eliminate each one p.

Stay Safe

Joe