Triplet therapy

• 7 replies
  • 110 subscribers
  1. Good evening all 

I joined the group earlier this year, I was diagnosed just after Christmas 2024 with metastatic prostate cancer. I'm 52 and self employed (35 years) carpenter. I was diagnosed only because my doc was worried about my cholesterol. Although I was struggling to drive and change gear I  put it down to my back which I've had several operations on. The findings were as follows.

Grade group 4

Gleason score 8

PIRADS 5

T3a N1 M1b

quite a shock and since then I have done a lot of crying and laughing etc. I was put on hormone treatment straight away and my consultant decided that triplet therapy was the best course of action so that involved tablets, injections and chemotherapy, the chemo was 6 sessions every three weeks. I did 5 and then picked up an infection every week after the fifth session for three weeks the second from the hormone injection.

since then the consultant had decided not to do the last session of chemotherapy and to start monitoring me every 4 weeks but maintaining the hormone injections and pills probably for the rest of my life.

i have so much more to say about my very short journey so far but it's making me upset.

i just want to know if anyone is on the same treatment and what to expect going forward? What am I likely to experience etc . I still get pain in my hips and groin and I'm starting to get more in my ribs all of which is where it is. 
im sorry I've not been more involved but sometimes it can start to take over your life ( more than it already has)

I do wish everyone all the best going through this 

J xx

• Hello James. It is difficult to explain what to expect now as everyone, plus the cancer, reacts differently to the treatments. Your drop in PSA to 0.01, which is extremely good, will be used as a benchmark for monitoring that things remain under control and be reassured that you are having 4 weekly checks. If you are still having pain they might arrange a scan to check how well the chemotherapy has worked and don't be too worried about only completing 5 sessions as this is normally sufficient to have given you the recommended dose. Now that you have finished with the chemo you should start to improve but it can take 6 months to get over the side effects of it. You will have regular blood tests including PSA and Testosterone. The hormone therapy is well into your system now and has probably already told you what side effects you are having to deal with as a result but let us know if there is anything you are struggling with as there are coping strategies for most of them. Mentally it can be difficult and if you need help then we can remind you of where to access it. Hopefully things will stay settled for a while for you but be reassured that there are plenty more tools in the toolbox if you need them further down the line.

• Hello James ()

Thank you very much for your post and update on your journey - it's not a condition of being a Community member that you have to post anything, thousands of people read the threads each day without joining the Community and from reading our posts they take away the information they need.

Your treatment so far has worked in keeping the Prostate Cancer at bay and your team are looking after you to keep on top of everything - I can understand you being upset, cancer is something none of us want and a diagnosis turns your life upside down. To help you may I make a few suggestions:

* Would you like your own "Telephone Buddy" - someone from our volunteer group who would contact you once a week for up to 12 weeks to see how you are - and put the world to rights - details in this link:

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/get-help/emotional-help/macmillan-buddies#:~:text=Our%20free%20Macmillan%20Buddy%20service,buddy%20is%20there%20for%20you.

* We also have free counselling supported by BUPA and again here's the link:

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/get-help/emotional-help/bupa-counselling-and-emotional-well-being-support

* There is always our support line on 0808 808 00 00 (*am to 8pm 7 days a week. They are a great set of people who can provide you with some extra support.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting the above, if I can do anything else for you please give me a shout on this thread or you can message me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you so much for your response  

cheers Jamie

• Thanks for your help and advice I will give those ideas some thought 

regards jamie

• Hi Jamie ( ), sorry I am late to respond but just back from a wet Isle of Wight holiday.

I only managed 4 chemo sessions and was told that should be enough, so well done for making 5.  I had chemo 7 years ago and am still on the 3 monthly jabs.  Great that you are getting 4 weekly checks although this itself is stressful.  I have a scan tomorrow and will probably get a bit anxious before I see my oncologist next month.  Best wishes, David

• Thank you for your reply and I'm sorry you have had a wet time.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

did you return back to work after your diagnosis and chemotherapy and what has brought about your scan this time?

understand if you don't wish to answer.

i wish you well and hope your appointment goes to plan.

Regards Jamie

• Jamie, no problem at all.  I was already retired by the time I got my diagnosis at 68 so work wasn’t relevant. I did find that I had to drop being chairman of a charity as the chemo ‘fog’ got me and I felt I couldn’t provide the necessary guidance to the group.   I then had RT (37 sessions) 6 months later.  Since then (for 6 years) my PSA has been reducing but last year started to rise (from a very low point) as the hormones are evolving and becoming resistant to Zoladex.   The upcoming scan is to check for any new mets before starting on a second gen HT to control the PSA for another 12 months or hopefully longer.  I am generally quite positive and keep hoping that the oncologist has a few more tricks up her sleeve and in the meantime we try and do everything we want to do.  The Isle of Wight is a great place to go and Tennyson Down even in the rain is a very special walk (and even better on a good day!).  
    Crying is ok but try and have more laughs and definitely stay positive, it is the best medicine.  Best wishes to you, David