So, side effects....what's the deal (and I mean that in a transactional sense).

• 10 replies
  • 117 subscribers

I am now just over 3 months into hormone therapy, awaiting radiotherapy at the end of the year.

It seems to me that most of the side effects that I am going to get will have surfaced. I'm going to list them, and then say how I feel about them, and then I'll get to the point.

1. Libido - none. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
  2. Erectile dysfunction - yup. Erectile failure. Complete and utter.
  3. Hot flushes - yes. Quite a few a day, but only one or two of the really hot and sweaty variety.
  4. Fatigue - irregularly, but there is usually one day a week when I just have to stop and sleep for a while.
  5. Surprise! - the Lower Urinary Track Symptoms have disappeared entirely.

So how do I feel about this:

1. Not especially bothered. As noted in my profile, my wife has her own difficulties, and we had already discussed this. Sex was painful for her, and I don't like hurting people. It was an easy decision.
  2. Given the above - no problems.
  3. Yup.- Sometimes very hot. Soon as I remove some coverings there is relief. They do wake me up, but they don't keep me awake. My wife and I are playing guessing games. She's had them for 15 years and I am NOT going to complain.
  4. Fatigue - hardest one to do anything about. If I doze off, I seem to sleep too long and feel worse. So, 20-minute alarm on my phone seems to invigorate just enough.
  5. Yes - I was surprised. I didn't think mine were too bad, but now I have been re-introduced to the world of peak flow, I know that they were getting bad.

Right, what's all this about.

I have read about others on this site and see how the side effects have dealt them quite a blow. I have felt guilty because I don't seem to feel nearly as bad. It bothered me so much that I have been thinking about it a lot.

The conclusion I reached is that I view the whole process as a transaction.

• I have prostate cancer. Gleason 9, so not mucking about.
  • There are a number of reasons why I would like to be cured if possible, or life considerably lengthened if not. Mostly to do with family.
  • I know that cancer treatments cause problems.
  • These are the price of kicking this thing into touch.
  • Is the price worth it?  YES
  • So the best I can do is take it lightly.

Things that happen:

• My brother calls me "Hotshot".
  • My wife asks me if I need any help finding it when I go to the loo.
  • If we have a hot flush at the same time we have a race. Loser makes the tea.
  • I offer to cuddle my daughters (and granddaughters) if they take the mickey out of me suddenly getting hot.
  • If I don't want to do something I go to sleep.

I try, very hard, not to take the side effects seriously. I know they are for many people, and my heart goes out to those people.

To me, though, if I can make them funny, then I will. That will help me.

I will try to share the jokes. Hopefully, that will help others.

• Hi Mstev2 welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing this, it did make me smile in many different parts as I am sure it will others  as well. I think we are all different in how we deal with side effects and you seem to have found a really good and healthy way that suits you and thats great, so thank you sharing.

Sending very best wishes your way. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hello  

As someone said before - it may well have been , "The man's got a sense of humour - he will fit in here".

You are 100% right in what you say

• I have prostate cancer. Gleason 9, so not mucking about.
    • There are a number of reasons why I would like to be cured if possible, or life considerably lengthened if not. Mostly to do with family.
    • I know that cancer treatments cause problems.
    • These are the price of kicking this thing into touch.
    • Is the price worth it?  YES
    • So the best I can do is take it lightly.

That's just me to a "T" - I can't do anything about it - let's get on with life and live it to the best of our ability.

Yes - I have missed sex - it's not the end of the world. (In fact we are closer than BC - Before Cancer)

Yes - I have had hot sweats - cured mine with sage tablets Stuck out tongue winking eye.

Yes - I have had fatigue - it's not got the better of me

I am 33 months into 36 months of Hormone Therapy on a "curative pathway" ( I love that phrase) - would I do it again for a curative pathway - yes I bloody well would!!

Oh by the way   - there may be more to come - I've also 

* Been able to cry for England.

* Had very dry itchy skin.

* Put on weight just by looking at food.

* Lost my strength and muscle mass

* Had "Brain Fog".

So don't think you have got away with everything - there may be more to come!!

Cracking post though and a man with my attitude - I honestly believe that a positive attitude is half the battle and if you can see the funny side...............

Thanks for posting and contributing to our amazing Community.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Mstev, I just love your way with ‘words’!  Keep them coming ! And…. your family will be rushing to you to warm them all up in the depths of winter:)

• Thanks for sharing this  . Your sentiments mirror how we have decided to deal with the incurable but treatable diagnosis but we do still have our 'black dog' days - this is when we have to get out of being in 'victim' mode and do something about it. My grandmother had a lovely saying 'Smile and the world smiles with you, cry and you cry alone', so our coping strategy is to get out there, have a cup of coffee or an ice cream and watch the world go by with a smile on our faces and invariably get talking to someone else. Humour is great for lifting the spirit and getting those endorphins running round the body. Keep the wise words coming.

• What a great way to put things,I have the same as you Gleason 9 ,just over 3mths in to hormone,awaiting radiotherapy,I get the same side effects,except,may libido is there ,and the the odd rise to the occasion , but it takes some time ,lol,really good post ,well done,stay strong.

• Great post, great attitude and insprational approach to life's unavoidable problems. I'm sure it will be very reassuring to many others here.

Thankfully I share your approach in many ways which certainly makes life and its problems somewhat easier to adapt to and cope with if you can.

My best wishes to you for successful radiotherapy treatment later in the year. You might find inspiration for a couple more jokes then, let us know if you do!

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • Hi mstev2,

Brilliant post, I lough out loud! I really needed it just now and your post filled the dark space that is still there.

Lots of love

Dafna

• Hi M

Great  attitude, great post, funnier than some of the things i read on twitter.Grin

err, keep it up

Steve

• Congratulations on your attitude to PC and the treatment. It mirrors mine almost exactly. I am now just over three weeks post RT and looking forward to getting off the HT in the next six months all being well.

You can read my journey through this in my profile if you are interested. 

My RT became more of a social outing than a hospital visit, almost to the point of being sad when it ended.

Royal Shrewsbury Hospital RT waiting room Joke... 

Wife talking to husband who has been on HT for a good while.

"Trying to have sex with you is like trying to play snooker with a rope!"

Keep smiling. 

Rod 

• Thank you.

Interesting journey, but sounds as if it is going well.

I am staggered by the number of people affected by this!

At my local hospitals 15 PC related biopsies are performed weekly, with a similar number being carried out at each of the other 2 hospitals in the group.

In my area there is a conveyor belt system, which seems to be working quite well at the moment.

Appointments have come through in the time span suggested, and I have a lady oncologist who is really positive.

I loved the joke. My own wife makes frequent reference to using a magnifying glass.

We have to have fun, and where that can be difficult, make fun.

Keep smiling duly returned. Slight smile