Turps and Prostate Cancer

• 12 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi.. every, it seems every ones journey is different.. there doesn't seem to a Standard response to Prostate Cancer !!  I'm now 75 and in good health... but I have Prostate Cancer, I've had it for 8 years and been on watch and wait, which to me seems to me as , we are not going to do anything till later, this I feel has damaged a lot of guys !!!  My PSA has gone up from 18 to 29 , but no one can say what that means?I  I've now been told I'm too old for a Prostatectomy!! Don't know why I wasn't told that earlier? The last Biopsy was a nightmare !! I was awake and ifelt so abused, painful and people coming in and out of the theatre!!!  That was my 5th biopsy, all the previous ones I had a general....

• Hi Delboy, yeah, my husband was monitored (6 months PSA only) until 2022. At the age of 75 his PSA reached 10 and they decided it was time to do more. After all the diagnostics they, too, suggested radiotherapy and hormone therapy but I asked about surgery at one of the consultations. My husband actively did not want the surgery and said so! That was the end of any discussions!!!

He went down the RT and HT route - it was not too bad, all in all but we were really glad to reach the end of the treatment in May. Now its a case of 'wait and see' with regular PSA checks - we are told this will be for 10 years.

Good luck with your own journey!

• Hello  .

This video might give you a little information about your Gleason 3+3=6 and the 29 PSA in relation to the size of the prostate. If you are having a TURP then this will give you an updated Gleason which might direct if treatment is recommended. You don't say over what time period the PSA has increased from 18 -29 but generally if it goes above 20 it's a sign for further investigation and possibly a higher risk. If you want a more definite idea of where the cancer is then you might want to ask if you can have a PSMA PET CT scan which uses a tracer to attach specifically to the prostate cancer cells - this would confirm where the cancer is.

https://youtu.be/lHVQmhQE0qA?si=_jFG8TjbIOE7I7VB

• Thanks for the reply!!I've had the PET Scan in Southampton and my PSA went up over 4 months. I don't get to see the same doctor twice... but it was really having the Biopsy awake really killed my confidence in the NHS..but I'm going to have the Turps, will have to see how it goes...

• Hello  

The TURP operation is where they “shave” the Prostate and it helps with your flow. They also examine the “chips” to ensure you have the correct Gleason Score.

It’s a painless operation and you have one or two nights in hospital. I had one in November 2022 and it’s detailed in my journey record (click on my avatar or name for the details).

if you have any questions- feel free to ask - you will get honest answers. 

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• A PSMA PET CT is more diagnostic than a standard PET scan and can pick up smaller sites of cancer. Also that is a big jump in PSA in a relatively short period of time and should be investigated. All the best with the TURP and let us know how you get on.

• OK..  but there is no mention of any over night stays!!!!   It's now on a shoe string, that's why I had No Anesthetic!

• Hello  

Honest - it’s at least one overnight - it depends on how you recover. My TURP was just over an hour. I had a spinal injection and was numb from the belly button down but it was painless and my flow was amazing afterwards.

i had mine at North Manchester General and I thought the staff were worth every penny they were paid. Couldn’t do enough for me.

Trust me, the NHS is under pressure but my TURP was so good I went back to the ward a few days later with boxes of chocolate!!

I had had an indwelling catheter for 10 months and had to learn to wee again but the TURP and pelvic floor exercises sorted me out.

I am aware you have had a bad experience with the NHS but it’s not all bad!! 

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• I'm phoning the Hospital tomorrow, to find out about the stay over.. but there's No mention of it in my paperwork they gave me... everything is now on a shoe string !!!!!

• Thanks.. I'm also having my biopsy at the same time. as the Turps....

• Hi Chris, it's good to hear from you again and that you've decided to have a TURP, as #millibobhas said you will need to stop in hospital for one or two nights, I was in two nights, it's to flush out the bladder and urethra and give your wound a little time to heal and any bleeding to stop. I had an epidural and felt no pain at any time.

Eddie