Advanced Prostate Cancer - the journey

• 4 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hello fellow PC travelers, Heizenburg here.

I used to be in this forum around 6 x years ago, when (in 2018) I had recently being diagnosed with PC (Gleeson score 7, 3/4) and was deliberating whether to go for surgery, or radiotherapy. I was not keen on surgery, as I had read a few horror stories on this, so opted for radiotherapy. The maximum PSA  prior to RT  was ~ 13. 

I had 20 x RT sessions, which was a bit uncomfortable at the end, but the discomforts soon passed. The only lasting downside was of course ED, which has never really recovered. 

For the best part of 4 x years, the PSA was around 1.0 -1.3, but in May 2022 it started to creep up. PSA came up over 6.0. I went for scans - no spread to bones or other organs - but to my Lymph nodes - a cluster of Illiac nodes that are near to the prostate. I was given a short course of RT that year, and PSA dropped again to 1.0 - 1.7, but by March 2024 it had crept up to 4.5, and by May it was 7.4. Again a repeat of the scans - again no spread to the bones & other organs, but (I think) three further lymph nodes were affected. They were not in a cluster this time, so it was not deemed practical to administer  RT - with the oncologist likening this approach as 'whack - a -mole'  but recommended ( strongly) that I go on to hormone therapy - 'for lifetime' 

So, this was the third 'shock' - the first the initial diagnosis, the second the realisation that the tumor had spread, and the third that it was no longer locally treatable. I had always pretty positive along the way, but the last one hit pretty hard. 

I have had 2 x injections, the first in June this year, of Goserlin 3.6mg, and for now these will be given monthly. Three weeks after the first, I had no or little side effects, but by the fourth week and and beyond the hot flushes have kicked in, the libido, such as it was, has retreated further, ED probably worse, and  a sense that my crown jewels have lost volume. I may end up on the 3 x montly / 10.8mg bumper injection for convenience, and hope the medicine dissipates gradually. 

From the figures above, it is evident that I have had a pretty easy ride so far, but the 'prognosis' is not particularly cheerful. Recently I summoned up courage to ask the oncologist his estimation.He started with 6 x years, then tempered this by reasoning that the tumor had (only?) traveled to the lymph nodes, and the Gleeson score / level of aggresiveness was not so high, so suggested 10 years. Ten years seems a fair amount of time, but if I consider that the last 10 years have passed in the blink of an eye, my demise is just round the corner.  I also got the opened ended prognosis - that certain PC 'travelers' can go on for decades.....I should point out that I have just turned 73, so can hardly expect that..although I still work full time, play sports, DIY etc etc, and generally in good health otherwise.

So, to come to the point - are there any PC 'travelers' out there who have been on a similar path to me?   I would be interested to hear what you think of lifetime hormone injections. Are there viable alternatives? Would chemotherapy be a short sharp method to clear it out?  Are there positive (long term) results from immunotherapy?   I would be open to suggestions.

It seems like the conventional thinking is - hormone treatment suppresses testosterone, and PC feeds on testosterone, so this keeps the tumor at bay, but for how  long???

Look forward to hearing from anybody out there, 

Heizenburg 

• Hello  .

Welcome back, but sorry that it is under these circumstances.

My husband was diagnosed 4 years ago but with advanced prostate cancer with distant spread and has been on HT for the whole of the time. Even during this relatively short time there have been many advances in treatment options as well as new thinking on the best way to treat it at different stages of diagnosis and recurrence. Traditionally recurrence was treated with HT for life but nowadays there is a move to try and still get rid of the cancer. There has also been work following PSA after different treatments with the nadir being predictive of whether a recurrence is likely to occur. My husband also has lymph node involvement and I think of the lymph system as a superhighway for possible spread. He originally had EBRT to the whole of the pelvic area, and has recently had SBRT to a distant visceral mass, lymph nodes and the adrenal glands because the chemotherapy he had last year was only partially successful. You are in a different situation in that you are hormone naive and there has been some recent work done which indicates that hitting the cancer hard and fast at this stage with a triplet therapy of injections, second generation antiandrogens and chemotherapy can result in remission for some men allowing them to come off HT if the PSA gets low enough.

Some men are seeing good results for years with a combination of injections and second generation antiandrogens such as Abiraterone, Enzalutamide, Apalutamide and Darolutamide. The risk with this strategy is that at some stage the cancer can become resistant to it plus you would have the side effects.

With immunotherapy, I believe that this is more a treatment which is used further down the line. There are many trials which you might be able to get on but you would need to ask. In the meantime it might be an idea to ask whether your initial biopsy samples might be sent for genetic testing as this can give an indication of which treatments might be more suitable for you further down the line if necessary.

As we are a lot further on in this journey than you we have asked the question - what next - and have been reassured that there are plenty more tools in the toolbox even though hubby is now 80. You are still relatively young and fit and with the rate at which new treatments are coming on stream I would be looking for a treatment which would give me the best quality of life long term.

• Hi  ,  That’s some journey.  I often describe my own journey as a roller coaster and yours mirrors that.  I was put on HT ‘for life’ when I was 68. Reasonably fit and a good diet.  My PSA dropped nicely and remained ok for about 5 years before starting a slow rise.  By far the hardest part is fatigue, but I now understand how to balance between pushing myself too hard and resting.  At 75 I have a good quality of life, obviously I would prefer not to have PCa and the side effects caused by RT, Chemo and HT but I am still here!  
    At 68 my life expectancy was 16 years.  Suddenly being told I might only have 5 years was a complete bombshell, but as we have discussed on this forum before, these are only based on statistics and with PCa in particular, survival rates are improving all the time.  Now at age 73, your survival rate in the UK is expected to be 12 years.  It is highly likely that you will die with PCa not of it!  
    As  has mentioned there are new thoughts about hitting hard with early treatments and this is certainly worth talking to your team about.  At worst, going on HT should stabilise your PSA for many years, and by then there will be more options I don’t doubt.  I have been on HT for over 7 years and not yet moved to plan B.  Again as AH mentioned, the oncologists talk about their toolbox being full of options to keep us going.

A large part of this journey is about being positive.  I wish you luck in your journey and please feel free to ask any questions.  David

• Hello Alwayshope. That is a very informative post, thank you for that. 

It is good to read that there are possible alternatives. I have just started on HT, and need to stabilise my PSA for a bit, but will be making inquiries on what you have mentioned above.

Yes, the lymph system gets around the body, so is a real threat. 

A wish a good quality life to you and your hubby

Heizenburg

• Nice one David - I like the positivity. As regards survival rates, the figures you give are more comforting, but everybody is different, so cannot make expectations.

As you say, stabilising the PSA is the primary goal, but I will be looking out for alternatives somewhere down the line.

Right now I am thinking how can I help myself? - so I will endeavour to maintain my fitness level, eat good quality food - lots of fruit & veg, whole foods etc, minimise the naughty stuff, and avoid too much stress. Not sure if it will make a difference, but it can do no harm. 

Heizenburg