PSA Level after Prostatectomy

• 6 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi all, 

My husband had a prostatectomy in March 2022 and since then his PSA results have always been 0.01, last week he was given results as 0.025 which I think is still classed as “undetectable” however he’s obviously a little anxious as to why it would have risen. Has anyone else experienced this?

thanks very much 

Sam x

• I know I am on Active surveillance and My PSA goes up and down and I am allways told if it is not rising to high there is nothing to worry about. But I allways do and you just wait for the next PSA and see what happens.  "Its that word" that is allways at the back of you mind and you just cannot forget that.   Lets hope that the PSA stays as it is or going down on next PSA Test.

Les

• Hello Sam.

The PSA can bounce around a little bit - different labs doing the test, but also the salivary glands and adrenal glands can produce a small amount. The extent of the prostatectomy can also determine if some prostate tissue was left behind.

The good news is that there has been no sign of a recurrence for a couple of years and it is too soon to be thinking along those lines. If you are concerned I would go for another PSA in 3 months time and if it hasn't gone down, but has increased up to 0.04 then ask to be referred back to the oncologist.

• Hi Les, 

thanks for your reply. 
    It’s hard not to worry even the slightest increase hey? We plan to try and stay positive. Wishing you all the best Smiley

Sam x

• Hi, 

thanks for your positive reply. We are doing as you suggest , asking for another test to be done in 3 months just to be safe. 
    Many thanks 

Sam x

• Yes this can be worrying. So far my results were always less than 0.01, however my 12 month test result yesterday was 0.05. Again, told to retest in 3 months and see what happens, should I be worried or is this normal to go up and down?

• Hello  .

The normal criteria for biochemical recurrence after a prostatectomy is 3 consecutive rises, a doubling time of less than 6 months or a level above 0.2. The next PSA test should be more telling. I have attached a recent article which explores this question which might help reassure you but also pre warn you about when it may be best to act in order to remain on a curative pathway.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41391-022-00638-y