My husband's cancer journey

• 8 replies
  • 113 subscribers

Hi everyone well we saw the consultant this morning and it was as I expected, George has an aggressive form of prostate cancer on his pelvic bone, he explained that this was incureable but treatable, he is starting him on Enzalutamide along with his hormone injections, he said he had patients on this treatment for some years  and are doing well, George asked if this was a terminal diagnosis but he said no, but he did say that this would probably shorten his life, but it could be 2/10/15 yrs or he could go from something else, he was very direct with everything, I got a bit upset but he didn't seem to notice, just thought he was a bit distant, but from what I know he is an excellent doctor.  Asked about our holiday in Sept and it is fine to travel, though George might be feeling like a Georgina by then, he reemed off a long list of side effects which sound horrific but as the nurse explained he probably won't suffer from all of them, so that's where we are now and thank you all for your lovely messages and encouragement will keep you updated on George's journey, and also good luck to you all on your journey's

God Bless and keep well

Hibbie

• Hello  

Well at least you now know the full extent of the diagnosis and you know he's "incurable but treatable". I would concentrate on the "Treatable" side of the diagnosis and move forward with that word in mind.

There are plenty of Community members on here with the same or similar diagnosis who are living a great life on the same treatment. Yes there are side effects, I have had HT for over 30 months, yes I've had every side effect going, but I just carry on as if things are normal!!

It's great news that your holiday is still on and that's something to look forward to - at this moment though if you feel like you need any extra support:

* Feel free to give our support line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) a call - there are some great folk on that number who will be happy to help.

* Do you have a "Maggie's" near you. This is a cancer support charity where you can just drop in for a coffee and a chat. Here's the link to their web page - https://www.maggies.org/

If I can do anything else for you just drop me a line - remember we as a Community are with you - no one fights alone.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Brian thank you for your lovely reply, yes we are going to take each day as it comes, George very static and he just gets on with it, and we have our holiday to look forward to.  We have a Maggie's here in Edinburgh so will probably pop in next time we are at the hospital.  So it's onwards and upwards, I'm exhausted as I never got a proper sleep last night, hopefully will get a good one tonight, take care and thank you again for your reply

Hibbie

• Hi again  and very sorry that the diagnosis isn’t better for George.   Once the HT starts you know that the cancer is being hit, so you can relax for a while.  Not everyone gets all the side effects, but they are all manageable if he gets them.  Please ask away if you have any questions.  You will come to what we all call a ‘new norm’ and life goes on with lots to look forward to.  Have a lovely holiday.  Best wishes, David

• Hi Hibbie, so sorry to read about George's diagnosis. 

I'm going into hospital on Tuesday to start Brachytherapy combined with external beam radiation.

Try to stay positive and enjoy your holiday x

• Hello  .

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis and discussion with the consultant this morning.

It is horrible to find that you have something that cannot be cured. My own meeting with my consultant had a slightly happier process, in that my cancer had not spread to the bomes, nor was it "distant" from the prostate. This means that I will be treated with a curative intention.

However, before I got this diagnosis I was absolutely convinced that I was going to be in the same position as your husband, and so I did some research. Out of that came two things:

1. That your consultant was correct in stating that this was not "terminal" and that you could still have a pretty full life for many years. Plenty to be positive about there.
    2. That the rate research has been going on, within 2-5 years there is likely to be even newer treatments, pushing the "treatable" period even further into the future.

This is true even now.

The "treatable" part of the diagnosis can be very long term.

Life can still be lived. I have a friend who was diganosed with "treatable but incurable" prostate cancer 3.5 years ago now. He still volunteers for 5 different charities in the working week, and is Chairman of Governors for a local primary school. He just acts as if nothing is wrong. He told me that he was "just going to get on with it". This seems, on this group, to be pretty much the attitude of those who are getting on well.

I am doing my best to emulate them, even if, at times, it is on a sort of "fake it 'til you make it" basis.

Keep well, and don't forget to look up and see what is good around you. Including your husband.

Nerd

• Thank you for your reply, yes we have both calmed down now, I was very upset this morning, but we will take it a day at a time, and I have read so many positive stories on this forum about men who have the same as George and are living full and active lives, and cancer research moves forward all the time so who knows what the future holds

• This is powerful Clap 

Thank you

X