Post Transperineal Biopsy, lots of bleeding

• 7 replies
  • 106 subscribers

I've just had my biopsy this morning at 11:30 which was done by making two pencil sized holes in my perineum through which the biopsy needles were passed.

The procedure wasn't painful aside from the anesthesia going in as it had to be into the prostate however the probe up the back passage was very uncomfortable as it was moved around.

I don't have any blood in my urine but going is almost impossible with only small amounts coming out each time. I have heavy bleeding from my rectum and from the puncture wounds even now 8 hours later. I'm also leaking small amounts of urine into my underwear which I've never done before.

Pain has almost gone and it's just a dull ache now in the general prostate area but bleeding still continues albeit not as heavy. It's enough to soak my underwear and my jeans. I've been using incontinence pads but they didn't catch all of the blood.

Is this normal as I don't want to wake up in the morning with blood soaked bedsheets. I've put plastic bin bags under the bed sheet so not to ruin the mattress. 

Any advice from anyone who has had this procedure done? I didn't think rectal bleeding was a thing with the transperineal method unless the probe damaged something. I hated that as it felt like I needed a bowel movement as he moved it around.

Thanks

• Hi Ade31 welcome to the forum and sorry to hear  about what is happening  for you. I dont know enough about the procedure that you had but if you are at all  worried I would contact out of hours on 111 and seek some medical advice. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Good Evening  

I had the good old TRUSS biopsy so can't comment on yours, however with your symptoms continuing I would advise you to either ring 111 for further advice or call at your local A & E or Emergency Unit.

I hope it's sorted soon and please let us know how you get on as it's important for future Community members to know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks both I will contact NHS 111 for advice and let you know.

• Just to update, the bleeding was due to an unknown disturbed hemorrhoid during the ultrasound scan. The wounds from the biopsy itself stopped bleeding around 24 hours later.

Feeling much better and even the prostate pain has gone.

• Hello  

Thanks ever so much for letting us know the cause of your problem. That's another new one for me to remember.

I hope the results aren't too bad when you get them - please let us know hoe you get on.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Hi Brian, I never mentioned what the problem was. I have a small 5mm tumour on the outer edge of my prostate which showed up on an MRI scan after being referred to the hospital. I've had problems passing urine which had got suddenly worse in the past few months following a couple of urine infections. I did have problems way before that for approximately a year. I had a PSA test which was 5.9 so got a referral straightway.

Will let you know when I get my results.

• Thanks  

That's a nice lowish PSA so I am sure they will be able to sort you out. Keep in touch.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge