Prostate cancer blue badge

• 11 replies
  • 114 subscribers

Hi, started having urination problems in Janaiary so visited GP. After many tests, scans, biopsies I have been told I need surgery to remove the prostate which is devasting for me as I am 55, I am also told I will lose both nerves and will struggle with continence. Does any body know if you can get a blue badge for having prostate cancer and been incontinent ,?  Not only will I be incontinent but I also am on medication for IBS so the joys of having both is going to be soul destroying and I am hoping for a blue badge to help manage toilet stops (I already have radar key) is this possible ?

Thanks

• If you can walk more than 50 meters, with or without an aid, you won’t get a badge.

• You can also get a blue badge for hidden disabilities but I don't think you would qualify. I have attached a link to the Blue Badge scheme.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/blue-badge-can-i-get-one/can-i-get-a-blue-badge

Macmillan have a toilet card which you might find useful.

https://be.macmillan.org.uk/be/p-26745-macmillan-toilet-card-and-leaflet.aspx

• As Alwayshope mentioned get yourself a Macmillan toilet card, I have had one for 18 months and have only ever been refused access once, I also have a blue badge, though generally my mobility is ok I was given mine as there are days I struggle, 

• Hello  

I agree with the posts above that under normal circumstances you would not be granted a blue badge. I am aware of a friend who's initial application was refused. He was talking to his surgeon who was able to take up his case - wrote a covering letter and the re-application was a success,

I do hope this helps.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Get your self a Macmillan toilet card and use the radar key.  I don't think you would qualify for a blue badge.

• Glad that a practical approach to hidden disabilities can be taken. Education of the public is also needed as I have often heard under the breath comments when people jump out of their cars after parking in disabled spots without evidence of a physical disability. I must admit I have occasionally tried to re educate them in a polite manner. When I used to volunteer helping people through the appeals process it was standard practice for the assessors to watch appellants getting out of their vehicles and getting to the tribunal room, plus it was a more uphill battle when the disability was hidden.

• I know just where you are at there - I was travelling through Manchester Airport wearing a sunflower lanyard (hidden disability)  It also grants you access to fast track security and passport control. I overheard a couple of comments - "he looks fit" and "nowt wrong there".

I had an indwelling catheter and urine leg bag - I don't expect they would be happy to be taken into a room with two airport security staff and having to drop their trousers and underwear - then having to be drug swiped after rubbing your hands on the urine bag!!

Too many people are judgmental these days - and I suspect the false use of sunflower lanyards is on the increase too.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• It is unlikely that you will get a blue badge "just" for toilet stops, but it does depend on other factors.

As an example, with a completely non P Ca disability, it has been possible to get autistic young adults a blue badge not because they can't walk far, but because they won't. It's not easy.

Blue badges are normally issued by whichever local authority is responsible for social services in your area. looking up their web information might tell you how easy/hard/impossible it is going to be.

You might also want to contact your local Citizens Advice who will be able to give you much more information on how your own local authority will react.

Normally if you have a disability benefit related to mobility that will automatically qualify you.

From what you said this will not be the case, so medical information and careful construction of the application might help. Citizens Advice can help with this.

If you are anything like me, then when you need to go, that means NOW. If that happens a lot you may have the beginnings of an argument. If you have any medical issues impacting on mobility other than this, they shold also be taken into account.

• Thank you everybody for replying 

• Hi Richard  , my hospital cancer team successfully applied for a blue badge on my behalf when my treatment began. It might be worth asking if your team can do this for you. Best wishes Amanda