Any Martial Artists on here?

• 6 replies
  • 106 subscribers

Hi All

I finished Docetaxel in December and went back to exercising in January.  I'm on Triptorelin injections every 3 months and my last PSA was 0.43

I am doing karate twice a week.  I'm only a lowly purple belt but I'm trying at 62 years old ;-)

I also do Tae Kwon-Do and have done for many years so I'm not so lowly in that but my lack of stamina is embarrassing.

I'm coping with the karate as it's less energetic than TKD so I can cope better when the fatigue sets it but at the moment TKD is killing me.

I'm definitely better than I was in January I just wondered if anyone had any tips on increasing my stamina for sparring/overall training

I was wondering if anyone else has been through it and managed to get back to how they were (or close to how they were) before diagnosis

Thanks a lot

Martin

• Hello Martin ( 

I can only say well done for trying to keep fit and I am sure Karate and Tae Kwon-Do must be beneficial so keep up the great work. I an not aware of any one on the forum who practices Martial arts - but I may be wrong.

Can I suggest you expand your search and add your post to this forum-

Cancer chat forum 

It's a general chat forum - there may well be other Community members who have different cancers but are Karate or Tea Kwon-Do participants.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi S

You say that you're on HT , just wondered what your stats are and if you are having other treatment.

I did Tae kwon do back in the 80's but stopped a long time ago, great fun though

After my Radiotherapy I was still doing my regular jogging every morning early and being doing that religiously for years .

HT can have bad side effects including tiredness so if u doing karate well done.

You don't say how long you are on HT for but when it's over u should go back to normal.

Best wishes 

Steve 

• Hi Steve

As I'm Stage 4 with mets to lymph nodes and bones  I'm on HT forever.

The tiredness is the killer for me.  I can be doing something and then it hits you like a brick.

I started TKD in the 1970's when 'men were men and sheep were worried'
    I've also trained in a few other arts and it's part of my life so I can't and refuse to give it up but I'm not half the person I was before I started chemo

I'm still walking the dog 5 miles a day as well which I managed all through the chemo even though on some days I thought I was about to die ;-)

And I also like riding big shouty motorcycles, another thing I intend to keep doing for as long as possible

I'm not going to let this beat me.

Regards

Martin

• OK Martin, sorry , I understand.

But yes keep going with as much exercise as you can , it can only help although perhaps don't overdo it.

Have u looked at clinical trials cos there are some new treatments especially for advance cancers

like Immunotherapy .

If u go to   cancerresearchuk.org think there is a clinical trial section there or there are some good hospitals that may be able to help, not sure where in the country you are but def worth looking into.

Best wishes

Steve

• Hello Steve ()

Here's the link you need for clinical trials-

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/find-a-clinical-trial

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Ok Brian

Thanks a lot

All the best

Steve