Advanced Prostate cancer with high PSA.

• 8 replies
  • 106 subscribers

Hello,

I've just been watching a brand new video from the Mark Scholz collection (just posted) about Advanced prostate cancer/high PSA and treatment. It's American so somethings are different but worth a watch never the less.

LSlight smile

https://youtu.be/rCizbJD7c7s?si=YoCbuX776ewaFpar

• Hello  

Cracking and informative video - thanks for posting the link.

I love the American title "Treatmenting Advanced Prostate Cancer".

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi L  Seen this guy in a few vids and love his hit it hard, hit it quick philosophy, never heard anyone talking about Provenge  immunotherapy before, only vague snippits, looks like it could be a last throw of the dice for me as the guys he said responded well to it have similar responses to previous treatment to me, Spot radiotherapy well worth looking into, thanks L

• Thanks for the link. It's reassuring as the Greek God has already gone through all of these options and in the order described on the video. Let's hope that the spot radiotherapy (SBRT) works for hubby but have been told that the next step would be Lutetium 177, and in the meantime the genetic testing is being done. Timing was the thing that really came out of the video.

• Yes I ws thinking about you when i was watching. Good to know that your husbands treatment is spot on. It will be interesting to know how accessible this is on the NHS, maybe alternatives?

L

• I should think it would be available if you are willing to travel as the machinery is not available everywhere. Cost wise it is cheaper than the next options. In the UK I think there is more of a limitation on the number of mets which they consider can be treated.  

• The other thing that stuck me was that his patients are taken off hormone therapy if the PSA drops below 0.1 which is not the advice we normally hear for those with a similar diagnosis. There is also work ongoing with BAT (Bipolar Androgen Deprivation Therapy) as well as having an androgen break to try and reduce the occurrence of resistance. I have been checking hubbys records and the lowest PSA he has recorded is 0.16 at the end of Chemotherapy last October, but it soon started to creep up again and when it reached 0.4 he had the repeat PSMA PET CT which pinpoited the known mets plus a few micromets which were in the same area. It was then All Systems Go for the SBRT. Our issue here is the speed with which they organise treatment which can be 4 or 5 hours drive away and often the next day so it is a mad panic getting the logistics into place.

On an upbeat note - hubby is recovering well from the SBRT with few side effects now, apart from fatigue and still avoiding wind producers. It is our 27th wedding anniversary today so we are going out for lunch to celebrate as he still can't face an evening meal and would fall asleep over it.

• Hi Alwayshope,

First Happy Anniversary for today.Champagne glass

"The other thing that stuck me was that his patients are taken off hormone therapy if the PSA drops below 0.1" Yes I thought that was odd, they certainly do some things differently in the US, well, everywhere really. I mean the NHS is great and I would't want to be without it, but the wait times can be very tricky. There's also a divide on availability and medication, but it seems where there's a will theres a way and like you say being prepared to travel, and politely push for things that don't seem to be available at the local hospital can be something that's worth doing. I'm not going to go too political, but I feel that we've been let down in this country a bit with healthcare (waiting times and the delays for treatment)  Hopefully there will be change.

I do like these videos as it opens up a lot of questions that I can ask at our next consultant meeting, I'm sure he loves it Heart eyes

L

• Happy Anniversary.

Hope you both enjoyed your special lunch today & the bonus of no washing up x