Rectal bleeding after radiotherapy

• 14 replies
  • 110 subscribers

My husband finished radio therapy for prostrate cancer in October last year. So worried about him now as he’s bleeding quite frequently from rectum. Has had a colonoscopy but no spread of cancer thankfully. Just interested to hear if anyone has experienced this problem and if any treatment was available for it. He is so tired and not willing to go out for long. Pots

• Hi  ,  I experienced bleeding after RT 6 years ago.  I keep a log and gradually over the years the frequency is lessening.  As long as your team are aware, I wouldn’t worry (particularly if it is not every motion) as simple causes like radiation proctitis, piles or diverticulitis might be responsible.  I was given advice not to strain or sit too long on the loo and that seems to help.  I now get fresh (bright red) blood about once a month.  Hope this helps.  David

• Thank you so much for your message. I’ll pass on your advice 

pots

• So long as his blood count is OK - although radiotherapy can alter part of the blood count I seem to remember, It is just a question of waiting for it all to clear up.  The rectum can become inflamed where the radiotherapy has got through and then when anything passes over it it as it's tender in that area it bleeds - like a graze constantly being rubbed and it's hard to get anything to that area to cover or heal it.   I found that the colonoscopy actually made things worse for a few weeks and the bowel prep really altered the way my gut worked for weeks and I ended up on a special diet from gastrolenterology to try and get back to normal.  Actually, when the gastroenterologist at the hospital prescribed the cream enemas for me he said they often don't do anything and although they may have helped a little they didn't make much difference that I noticed but who knows they may have meant that the bleeding did stop a little sooner than it would have without them.  I had one a day  for 3 months - it was great coming out of the hospital with a huge box of them!  Things had barely changed when I went back and he didn't prescribe any more.    I can't quite remember when the bleeding stopped but it did eventually.  What was good to know was that it wasn't anything to worry about  If there are any changes as in especially if it gets worse or more frequent make sure you go back.

All the best

•   , no problem, keep any questions coming.  We were all new to this once upon a time!  I forgot to mention in my previous post, my bleeding is only minor (hard to gauge but maybe a desert spoonful max), but if he has a significant bleed then best to get advice asap (GP or 111) as anaemia possible.  David