Rectal bleeding after radiotherapy

• 14 replies
  • 110 subscribers

My husband finished radio therapy for prostrate cancer in October last year. So worried about him now as he’s bleeding quite frequently from rectum. Has had a colonoscopy but no spread of cancer thankfully. Just interested to hear if anyone has experienced this problem and if any treatment was available for it. He is so tired and not willing to go out for long. Pots

• I had full pelvic radiotherapy and experienced the same thing some months later.However,  the person doing the colonoscopy said that it was colitis and too high up to have been caused by the radiation.

I had a course of tablets to treat it.

• Fatigue can be a side effect from the radiotherapy and the usual remedy is exercise. Has your husband had a blood test recently to check for anaemia? Low red bloods can also make you more tired. I hope you get it sorted soon.

• Hi sorry to hear your husband’s having problems hopefully just a blip,it’s good putting it on here as it helps us that are getting prepared for RT an insight into side effects which can happen,take care Robert

• What did the colonoscopy actually show? Does it show where the bleeding is coming from and what the cause is?  I It is usual to have some inflammation in the rectum from the radiotherapy and this can cause bleeding. I was given a course of enemas for this which helped but didn't sort it out.  Eventually it just stopped.  The colonoscopy should show where the bleeding is coming from and if the radiotherapy has caused it and then treatment can be given if necessary.

• Hi Pots, if you think about it, the radiotherapy is pretty damaging to everything in its way. As the rectal passage recovers, it makes new blood capillaries that are initially close to the surface before they get submerged in protective body tissue. As they are vulnerable, they can break if stools are a bit hard, or even if your husband is tempted to strain on the toilet (which he should avoid). This causes the capillaries to break and you get bright red blood spots on the toilet roll.  Bright red is good, as it means they are closer to the anus and easily repair again.  It’s a bit like blowing your nose too hard during a bad cold when the nasal passage is inflamed and you get some spots of blood on your hanky.  AW

• Hello Pots, 

Sorry to hear of your husbands issue with bleeding flowing radiotherapy. After my radiotherapy ended in December 2021 I started bleeding coulped with urgency, mucus and faecal incontinemce. I was referred to a gastrology consultant but it took 8 months to get the appt. He suggested a relatively new treatment to cease the bleeding which had had some success he said. The treatment was 4 sigmoidoscopies at 4 weeks apart and a substance called Purastat which is a haemostatic agent to control bleeding. The substamce is applied to the lesions and following the treatment the bleeding ceased. The urgency and faecal incontinence has not and my last appt. with the gastrologist said unfortunately the proctitis is chronic and I am managing it the best way I can. The Purastat did it's work though. I enrolled on 'Colo-Spirit' research project into pelvic radiation management carried out by Newcastle University and will hopefully help those in future.

I do hope your husband gets the treatment to help stop the bleeding as it is does affect daily living activities. Another point to mention Macmillan produce a small card which if you show to a business or shop, etc. if needed and allow to use their facilities. I have used it and it has worked well and replaces having to go into your condition.

Best wishes, Graham. 

• Hello  

Further to  's  great post above here's the link to the toilet card -

https://be.macmillan.org.uk/be/p-26745-macmillan-toilet-card-and-leaflet.aspx

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• That sounds brilliant.  I hope that is made widely available.

• Hi Pots, had wide beam EBRT April 2023 which also targeted perirectal nodes, and the blood vessels in this area break for up to 4 years after as a consequence and i bleed small amounts most weeks, As it poses very little risk and no inconvenience i am happy to let it heal itself though do take 1 cosmocol sachet every day, Regarding the toilet card, if you know anywhere that has Macmillan booklets and leaflets, one of them contains the card and key fob, been using mine 20 months and only ever been refused once. Going back to your bleeding, though unlikely, micro fractures in the pelvis should be ruled out.

Eddie

• Thank you so much for all your responses. Too many to answer individually. Good to hear he is not alone with n suffering bleeding. He had bloods done yesterday so waiting to get results of them. He See no evild a toilet card he got when he was diagnosed. Results of colonoscopy didn’t tell us anything more than we already knew - haemorrhoids and diverticulitis. They did say the bleeding was caused by radiSee no evilherapy. Looks like he’ll just have to be patient See no evil

Just have to keep his spirits up.

Best wishes to you all.

Pots