My Dad has Secondary Bone Cancer n he has a broken bone in his bk

• 2 replies
  • 105 subscribers

My Dad has recently found out that he has a broken bone in his Spine n it’s pressing on his Spinal cord. He’s been in excruciating pain since Christmas, but I don’t understand why his previous MRI and CT scans that he had earlier this yr didn’t pick this up ? He said to my sister yest that he’s been having leg pains but I don’t actually know how long for. N my silly Dad has been stupidly mowing lawn, when I’ve already offered to do it for him several times. Why are the Elderly So Damn stubborn, he’s probably done himself more unnecessary damage to his back. N now we’ve gotta wait for him to have a CT Scan on Thurs n I guess they’ll then decide what they’re gonna do wiv his bk. So I now won’t be celebrating my 50th Bday either this Sun CryPensive My Dad is All the family I have left ova than my two kids, as I have barely any kind of decent relationship wiv my sister n I fell out wiv my brother 9yrs ago n he barely spoke to me at my Aunts fuCryral last yr, n my cousin’s live miles away n I hardly see any of them. I just feel So Alone n So depressed. n as it is Iost my Mum as well on Christmas day 2021 to Alzheimer’s, n now I dread loosing my Dad SobCryPensive

• Hello   A few issues there and I am so sorry to read of your Dad's problems - I agree with you us oldies are quite stubborn!!

A few things-

* He's having a CT on his back Thursday so the back issues are in hand - you need to tell him he needs to listen to advice and rest - it might be an idea if you are with him on Thursday to get the hospital staff to tell him he needs to rest.

* To enable us to help you with the Prostate Cancer can you pleases stick Dad's diagnosis on his profile (Initial PSA; Gleason Score and TNM scores). To do this on your home page, click on the chair top right - then "profile" and then "edit".

* No one should fight cancer alone never mind depressed. You need to have a word with your GP about how you feel and it would help if you give our Support Line a ring on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week). The support line will be able to offer help and advice.

* Do you have a "Maggie's" near you? This is a cancer support charity where you can drop in chat, have a cup of tea and get help for both you and dad - here's the link https://www.maggies.org/

I hope this helps - you also have the Community here it's your family too - come online whenever you want to rant, ask for advice or just a chat - it's OUR Community.

If I can do anything else for you please let me know - Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Delalina

First let me say sorry about your your dad’s problems, believe me when I say I know how it’s affecting you. I myself have back pain, but that’s another story. 
    My wife and my carer is very much like you, a brother that only sends birthday and Xmas card, she never sees him, apart from a cousin who lives in Devon where in Manchester that’s the only other person she has in her family, her loneliness is like yours she breaks down and cries, at the thought of me not being here, even worse I start chemo again in a couple of weeks, putting more stress on her.

Here there are lots of people to talk to, even us silly old ones Grin plus ladies who chat and can be helpful, when he gets his results back I hope there’s something they can do, the backs a funny thing lots of people suffer with it, but pass it off, at least your dad is taking some steps, there are a variety of things that can be offered, let’s hope they have one tor him.

Stay safe

Joe