Update

• 6 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi back again,

So in January I was given my first hormone injection to or a reaccurace of cancer after my prostate surgery last year. Not many side effects luckily which has caused some weight gain but a lot of  sweating on and off. I should be 10 stone with all the water that comes out,Rofl I also have now finally been given my date for my radiotherapy April 3rd. 35 session Monday to Friday. Not sure what to expect, what's other people experience ?. Be nice to hear from anyone who gave been through this already so I know what to expect. Thanks 

• Hi Acme70.

I have attached a link to a very informative download from PCUK on radiotherapy. My husband had 33 sessions of EBRT in 2020 and generally found it quite easy. His main side effect was fatigue which built up after the 20th session. Exercise is important. The technicians are brilliant and can help with any side effects such as constipation or diarrhea, or general discomfort in the lower abdomen. You will be advised whether you will need to use a micro enema and how much water to drink but generally get used to drinking a couple of litres a day as this will help flush things out of your body. Avoid caffeine and fizzy drinks along with any food which might cause wind. He found that he had less side effects when he ate little and often as this got his gut into a routine and he did not need the enema. To date he has had no problems with his bowels and minimal bladder issues.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/treatments/external-beam-radiotherapy

• Hello Acme, I think Alwayshope has given you a brilliant resume of the radiotherapy journey. The one thing she did not mention was the bonus (?) - 3 free tattoos! They use the pinprick sized tattoos on your abdomen to line up the machine so the radiotherapy is well targeted.

we found two things difficult! One was the sheer fear of side effects which, actually , were very minimal. The other was the travelling which was very draining.

my husband had 20 sessions. At the end we came out of it wondering what on earth we would do without this daily ( weekday) demand on our lives!!! 

I hope all goes well for you!

• Hi Always hope,

Thanks for the attachment and gland to hear your husband is doing well. I feared the worst with side effects but you had put my mind at ease. Hanks again 

• Hi Worriedwife,

Thank for your reply, funny you mentioned that as I had my tattoos on Tuesday now I feel part of the gang. Luckily I work down the road from the hospital but I have spoken to people who have travel from a far to receive treatment. Sounds like I might be worrying for nothing I'll update my experience during the treatment. Thanks for your reply and hope your husband is doing well. 

• Hello  

I live about a mile from our hospital and I could walk or take the bus - I was offered the dedicated locked parking for free but declined it as others may need it who travel from afar.

Check with your hospital about parking as you don't want appointment anxiety everyday looking for a space - some Community members have used some of the "Parking Apps" to rent a space on someone's drive - you can then just turn up and park - no worries.

Some hospitals do free or cheap parking but you can't always be sure of a space.

Best wishes and good luck on the "sunbed" - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi  , as the others have said, nothing to worry about.  I had 37 sessions and ‘groundhog day’ comes to mind. Glad to hear you are close to the hospital as parking seems to be a major issue for most.  
    For me, the hardest part was having the planning tattoos, as nobody explained that I needed empty bowels and full bladder.  Once we twigged that, it was easy to make sure I was empty. I asked for appointments early in the day so that the rest of the day was clear.  Also later appointments were often delayed if an emergency had come in or previous chaps had been bounced for not being empty.  I imagined that I would feel the radiotherapy but apart from the clicking and movement of the machine you don’t know anything is happening.  At the end of your 7 weeks, you will be a world expert and be able to explain everything to the newbies.

There are possible side effects, but nothing that the radiology team haven’t seen before, so tell them if you experience any problems as soon as possible.  Good luck, David