PC spreading to liver after beginning HT

• 4 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hello everyone 

I have just joined this group, my husband was diagnosed with PC in August last year.

His PSA level at diagnosis was 343 but after HT it has fallen to 0.1

Has been taking Nubeqa for about six weeks.

However after a recent CT scan and a subsequent MRI to check a shadow on his liver…they have confirmed the cancer has spread there. We are now waiting to start chemo with Docetaxel, hopefully in the next few weeks.

Our consultant has said they wouldn’t have expected to see a spread of the cancer after starting treatment…particularly after his fall in PSA. I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Every time we go for a review the news seems worse……his ordinal Gleason score at diagnosis was 4 + 3…..no one has aid if that has changed and I don’t know if I really want to ask…..

my husband is 63 and we are so hoping we can throw everything at this and get to spend more time together…..but this journey is so hard…

was comforting reading about other people’s experiences though….thank you

• Hello Goingloopy ( think I should have chosen this name at the very beginning of our journey!!!)

sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis and your very understandable worry. The start of the PC journey is very hard for us wives as well as for our husbands

Welcome to the forum.  I am just wondering if your husband had a CT scan or MRI before he started the hormone therapy? Comparing the two would show whether or not the cancer has spread since starting the HT or whether it had spread before?

Take good care of yourself :)

• Hello worried wife,

thanks for the reply.

yes he had a CT just after disagosis and no shadow on the liver then. started HT and responded well as far as the lowering of his PSA….then at a review in January they wanted a CT and found the shadow, confirmed as cancer about 2 weeks ago. Have literally just heard that he has to start chemo in 2 days and we are just off to our Cancer centre in an hour.

im so scared through this but trying hard to be stoic for my other half!

will keep you all updated.

thanks so much for the support worried wife 

• Hello Goingloopy and a warm welcome from me, I too saw my cancer spread, I had been on hormone therapy for eight months, Prostap 11.25ml every 3 months, then a pre radiotherapy scan showed my cancer had spread, my PSA was 0.08 at the time, I requested my hospital notes as i felt information was being kept from me, and it was. take care.

Eddie

• Hello  - A warm welcome to the online community - I am so sorry to find you here. Feel free to ask any questions that you want - you will receive answers from people who have been on the same or similar journey.

We do have another forum that may be of help and a link to this is here: Chemotherapy forum Just click on the link I have provided and it will take you there.

I wish you both well once the Chemotherapy starts this week.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.