Just joined group.

• 75 replies
  • 113 subscribers

Hi, didn’t imagine I’d be posting here a few months ago…….I normally post on holiday/travel forums…. So hello. I had PSA x 2 before Christmas 2023. 8.2. 7.1    Then MRI , then biopsy. Diagnosed mid Jan 4+3. I’ve seen a consultant who 1st broke the news. Apparently I have 2 slow 2 moderate from biopsy. She kind of gave me the option to have removal or Active S. I also spoke to my Dr and in fact another Dr also . When pushed all 3 said they may well side with the A.S. In the mean time I had the choice to go and see the actual consultant / surgeon at the hospital 100 miles from where I live that do the op. Very nice chap, BUT he said he did not like a Gleason 4+3 in a 57 yr old and advised I have the op although that was just his kind advice. He said if it was a Gleason 6 , yes 100% do nothing apart from keeping an eye on it. I kind of feel I need to listen to him and go ahead with the op. I can just hear his voice as he as he did say “ I do not like a Gleason 7 in a 57 yr old . Anyway that’s my story so Thankyou..

• So that looks ok,  u could also consider active surveillance I would have thought.

So your options as far as treatment is surgery or different forms of Radiotherapy.

Look at the pros and cons of each treatment option as surgery can potentially have more issues (side effects) although not always.

Regards

Steve 

• Thankyou all very much, yes a mistake by me. 3+4.

• No expert , but you might be able to avoid hormone (adt ) therapy with a 3+4 , and have only radiotherapy . I had surgery for a 4+3 really to avoid hormones . And 3+4 more suitable for surveillance . Bill

• If surgery keeps you alive I would say have it. I am metastatic and Gleason 8 so no surgery options.

•   I agree with Milibob on the choices . You have plenty of time to do research . My partner is now 57. Surgery and Brachytherapy was not on offer as his cancer had broken out of the prostate. He had Radiotherapy which has been very successful with minimal after effects. To my mind why go surgery when you may be having RT after . It doesn't make sense . RT is incredibly precise now and Brachytherapy is very good, lots of people recommend on here. Though your choice entirely, there’s no rush, do some research. 
    Best wishes L

• Hi arvisnims welcome to the community, saw your posts on the LWIC forum, I am also on it so understand your situation, take care.

Eddie

• Hi MWP,

Welcome to the forum which is full of fantastic people who have already been or are going through dealing with a prostate cancer diagnosis so have lots of personal experience to draw on.

As others have said, you have lots of choices available so it's important that you feel comfortable with the choice you make.  Everyone has their own reasons as to which route they choose and it's therefore important that you do lots of research to help you decide the pro's & cons of each option.  I personally found the information from Prostate Cancer UK (as well as Macmillan) very helpful as it is easy to understand & written in a clear logical manner.  I was actually given copies of their booklets by the hospital, but they are available on line as well.   I'm sure Millibob (or some other kind soul) will pick this up when the sun has gone down today in Turkey and add the appropriate links.

I was diagnosed Gleason 7 but 4 + 3 & my choice was to have HT & RT, and if it helps you can read my journey by clicking on the coffee cup icon by my name.

If you have any questions (no matter how insignificant they may seem) then ask away & someone will no doubt come back to you with an answer.

All the best,

Brian 

• Once again thanks for the reply’s . I would much rather have RT than removal . Makes me wonder if I saw 10 surgeons would they all advice op or not? I’ve seen 2 consultants and 1 said AS the other who may of been senior said op?? Does not help having different opinions from the “ experts”.

• I think that  10 surgeons would say go for surgery unless the cancer had spread outside the gland and then hopefully they would all steer u down the RT path.

RT is probably the easiest option , no major op, less chance of ED or urinary issues.

One downside surgery very difficult after RT if cancer returns but not so the other way round ie 

RT after surgery.

as has been said do check it out before deciding , perhaps going to see a non surgeon may help you

Bets wishes

Steve

• The problem here is that you get two sets of side effects.  Not ideal.  AW